Home Automation: Outlet Alarm

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cunoodle, Feb 8, 2014.

1. cunoodle macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone ever seen an outlet alarm that will notify(via iPhone app) you if it looses power? I am looking to have something plugged into our freezer outlet to make sure that if it looses power, we will know. I did some searching, but didn't find anything except audible alarms that you can plug in.

Thanks!

2. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

A computer with UPS may be your only option. I have a micro-itx based atom pc with an APC UPS to alert me to power outage using the APC software. Ugly solution but it works.

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Might be hard to find. Such things usually connect through wifi and when you lose power your network would probably go down as well. If I am out and wondering if the power is down I try externally logging into my router.

Not an elegant solution but checking once an hour or so isn't too bad during a storm.

Some remote security cameras (izon?) May have a function of alerting you when the lose connection which may be a good indicator of a power outage.

4. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

The good news using a UPS is you can have the Router and modem on one too. A computer UPS will last a long time with just a router plugged in. So I have the computer send an email alert and then hibernate in 1 minute leaving the network up because who wants to be without internet in a power outage.