Home built 1st G Ipod Touch.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rcbamm, Sep 13, 2010.

1. rcbamm macrumors newbie

The title catches your eye huh?

I wonder if I'm the first to build an Itouch purely from parts bought from a few random internet websites.

Anyway, hi all, I'm new here, and gonna post what I did, and I do have a problem and hoping some one can pinpoint me on how to fix it.

So, it all started about 2 weeks ago when I found a old broken 1st generation Itouch an ex friend left at my house, it needed a battery, a touchscreen (glass) and LCD. The case and bezel were horrendous but that didn't bother me so much as to how I just wanted to get it working before making it look pretty. So I ordered a battery, and the touchscreen, and LCD. I then stumpled upon a website and they had on clearence a brand new 1g Itouch front bezel with the touch screen already in for $16 and they had a genuine back plate for $6 so I ordered them for the great deal. To my supprise when it arrived in the mail the backplate had the black corner antenna and the power button on the top, all brand new, and the front bezel had the home button in it aswell.

After I ordered everything and waiting for the parts to arrive in the mail, I'm examining the Logic board very closely. I noticed a pinhole in the main ribbon wire going into the logic board from the Wifi part of the circuit. The pinhole was extremely close to the main PCB board. After discovering this pinhole, I remember back when a few months ago, I tried finding out why the itouch wouldn't turn on when it was in my ex-friend's poseesion. The first thing I figured I would do is try and manualy charge the battery. I did this by inserting two small T-pins into the battery wires, and then hooking my lithium polymer charger up to the T-pins. I got the Itouch to turn on, but couldn't operate it because the touch screen was completely ruined. So it needed a new touch screen. I pushed the T-pins in a bit farther and continued to charge. I guess after this, I made the deadly pinhole that ruined the logic board.

I get all the parts in the mail and put that logic board in to see if it would work.. It doesn't work.

I found a used logic board on ebay and they stated it powers on, but the wifi does not work. I bought it for $20 shipped. I got it in saturday and I was examining the wifi part of the circuit.. There were a few microscopic resistors missing.

So, I assembled the itouch to see if the logic board even worked.. It does work, and everything work's good... it just has the gray "No wifi" button that can't be pressed.. So I took it back apart, and managed to swap over the missing resistors from my other logic board, and soldered them in. I put it all back together still "no wifi" :( So I'm like "ahh, okay I guess I will just have to deal with not having wifi". I started messing with it, I whipped out all the data from the previous owner, and then updated it to 3.1.3 and it seemed to work alot better. I put apps on it thru Itunes and added music.. I shut it down and went to bed last night..

I woke up this morning, turned it on and to my extreme supprise, the wifi was working!!! it was connected to the internet for about 2 minutes. Then after 2 minutes, not connected, after about 5 minutes, the gray "no wifi" came back
    :( so I was dissapointed, did some research and read that if you stick it in the freezer, it might work. So I did, after 10 minutes in the freezer, the wifi worked for about 10 minutes, I went on FB and started posting all over it saying how I got my itouch wifi to work, then once warmed up, no wifi. Throw it back in the freezer, wifi works.

Ugh, it's soo nice to have wifi, my 1st generation Itouch looks and works as if it was brand new, just no wifi.

So I'm determined to fix this thing. The whole plan was to be spending around $50 to have an Itouch, but it turned out to be a $100 because I ordered $20 in parts I didn't need. I see these things on ebay all the time used working perfectly for $100, so I'm upset about that, but I sure did learn alot and I do have pretty much a brand new Itouch except for the used logic board.

Does anybody know possible solutions I could try to fix this problem? I'm guessing it's a overheating problem, and once at a certain degree the logic board shuts off the wifi? or maybe the circuit goes crazzy once hot and when it's cold it stays civilized?? lol

Note: I added pictures of my itouch.

Attached Files:

2. battlekid macrumors regular

I'd like to thank you for this inspiring and fun post! Thats pretty cool that you built it from misc part. I'd recommend buying a new wifi part though. Cool!

3. rcbamm thread starter macrumors newbie

haha thanks no problem :)

I wish I could just buy the wifi circuit of the logic board but it's all soldered together as one unit, the ribbon wire does not seperate from the wifi circuit nore the logic board :( I guess the newer Itouchs do have a seperatable ribbon wire.

4. battlekid macrumors regular

I guess you need a new logic board. Pretty cool project though!

5. rcbamm thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed. Logic boards that are gauranteed to work are $150-$200 for an 8gb which makes absolutely no sense due to the fact that the new itouch's are only $200-$230.

I guess I got lucky and found this one on ebay for $20 hence that it works. The ebay seller has more that say no wifi but they didn't state they power on, they want $20 aswell.

For some reason it's not connecting now even when it's in the freezer, but it's not grey wifi button so I can press it and manual turn off the wifi. where as before when the wifi button is grey you can't press it, it doesn't respond to anything.

So I manuall shut off the wifi, let's see where this gets me.

6. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

I always find it amazing how factory workers can assemble these things in a matter of minutes. Tiny electronics are fantastically complex.

7. rcbamm thread starter macrumors newbie

I find it amazing how they design such small electronics and how machines solder all these micro chips into place!

circled are the 3 resistors I removed from this logic board and soldered to the ebay logic board. I'm not even sure if these are resistors but I'm guessing they are :D

My itouch has been warm and operating now for quite some time, sence my last post. Wifi is turned off but it isn't greyed out. So I have the option to turn the wifi back on.. I'm just gonna wait a bit longer and then try and turn it on while it's warm, see what happens.

Attached Files:

8. Ipodize macrumors member

Ipodize

Thanks for the great post! I'd love to try and build a 1st gen from parts, but there is something called a "budget" which is telling me NO WAY ARE YOU SPENDING MORE MONEY AFTER THAT IPOD TOUCH 4G!!!!!!! :p

9. rcbamm thread starter macrumors newbie

lol yeah don't spend more unless you have extra money and are truely bored. you will spend around $100-$150 building a 8gb 1st gen ipod touch; not worth it IMO for the result of having a brand new looking 1g Ipod touch. It would be better to have up to date parts so buy yourself a brand new itouch and tear it apart, then rebuild it :p

My goal was to be spending $50-$80 tops and not buying necessarily all the parts. I'm in the $110 range :eek:

Well after keeping my wifi turned off for a day, I don't have a grey wifi button anymore. I have the option to turn the wifi back on but it can't find any network even though it finds the network after I take it out of the freezer:rolleyes: