Home button as a physical switch should be gone next year, yes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aston441, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

Somehow I doubt the home button will go away for iPhone 7, but I can't imagine that going forward it will still be a separate physical switch. At most I would expect a depression in the display instead of an actual hole, and 3D touch to give it a clicky feel, just like more recent trackpads.

This might be even cheaper to manufacture, is one less point of failure, and eliminates another area of water entry.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Interesting. I agree it will likely still be on the 7 but who know except Apple.

There are many that are very strong minded on this subject.

3. iDanny26 macrumors regular

iDanny26

It will be interesting to see what Apple does.

Personally I hope it stays, but I know I could get used to a home button being taken away eventually.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Same question that gets asked practically every year for years now.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would like it to stay, too. If they remove it I and other will get used to what ever they do. It would not cause me to leave Apple for sure.

6. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want it to stay too, but I don't want it to be an actual switch, just a smooth polished depression in the screen glass.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like having a physical home button. It was the thing I missed the most when I used a HTC One (M7) for a year.

8. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it would feel like a physical button so long as the haptic engine gave a click when you press on it.

9. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I like the home button, but could handle it being gone if it's implemented well. Someone in another thread mentioned apps freezing the screen and not having a button to press being a problem. Not sure if it this would be an issue or not. I rarely ever deal with with freezes.

If they take the button away, they need to make the 7 screens as shatter-proof as possible. Sometimes people drop their phones and have to live with a cracked or shattered screen until they can afford to replace it. If they lost some responsiveness in the home / Touch ID area because of a drop, they'd probably have a tough time continuing to use the phone.

10. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

That'd be neat! Maybe they can somehow move it to the back like the fingerprint reader on the new Nexus phones?

11. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would skip any phone with that because I exclusively use wallet cases, and a wallet case could not be designed to accommodate a home button on the back.

12. Eileen89, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I like the home button and hope that Apple keeps it. I do think they should reduce the oversized Bezzels, though.

13. freedomisle macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind losing the home button. If functionality wasn't compromised. I think with 3D Touch to activate the App switcher it has reduced my need for the home button and aesthetically it would work. Touch I.D is what I'd be concerned with.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Agreed. I hate those cases they make that have a dust and dirt hole to show off the Apple logo. Every Nexus 5X and 6P case will have a hole at the back. Just no.

15. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

If it was gone, one less mechanical limitation to deal with. If it stays, its iconic and I like the look of it. Wouldn't mind either direction Apple chooses to go.

16. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

I could see Apple - if they choose to forgo the home button - implement a version of Force Touch to simulate a click like they do with the Magic Trackpad 2 and newer MacBooks. Still, I echo everyone else's thoughts that it's an iconic design and would personally like to see it stay. Either way I imagine Apple would do it right.​

17. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

18. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I like the physical button. I hope they keep it. To me it wouldn't feel right without it.

19. larla macrumors newbie

I do everything possible to avoid pushing the home button. I have the accessibility home on-screen button activated and have begged for a multi-touch gesture on my 6s Plus to return to home.

So please go to a non-mechanical home button on the 7.

20. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it would feel the same, just like the new trackpad on the new MacBooks. Don't you understand?

21. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30