Home button as tiny trackpad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 10, 2014.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Now that we have a double tap gesture on the 6's home button, what are the odds Apple intends to extend the home button's touch functionality? Maybe make the button a tiny bit bigger, and you could conceivably use it for gaming, scrolling, dismissing notifications on the lock screen, etc.

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I think there are certainly many possibilities with the touch-sensitive home button. With the old home button, you had single, double, and triple clicks, as well as holding it down. Now only having double tap seems like a missed opportunity; so I would hope Apple is coming out with some functionality for a single or triple tap, or holding it down without clicking.

But I am doubtful that Apple will use the home button as a trackpad, since that would go against having more and more controls be screen-based. It could happen though.

3. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Yeah, put a rubber "nipple" joystick in the middle like on ThinkPads. :D

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I hope not. That would drive me crazy. I want the home button to remain a home button.

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Why would you need to use a tiny "button" when you can use the entire screen? How does that make sense to you?

6. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I think I'd enjoy that feature, but I can't see Apple ever implementing such a thing. Android phones.... Maybe.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Android would do anything to say they were the first ones to do it!

8. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

But they can customize it so you can use gestures or simply disable them all.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

blackberries had a touchsensitive flat button

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

If I could do something to keep it just a home button, I wouldn't mind if they implemented that tech...

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yep, the Bold if I remember right. It worked reasonably well with the full keyboard setup. Less annoying than the Curve's trackball thingy or the Storm's button screen.

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Maybe use it for typing. Each finger is a different group of letters, and touching vs. clicking lets you do two letters with each finger. Then you can tap the screen for the remaining six.

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

15. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Make home btn bigger, like 5.5" big. Then you can have various gestures, like pinch to zoom... Oh wait :rolleyes:

16. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

The home button wears out. I want to use a tap and double tap instead of a full press.

17. markusbeutel macrumors regular

I've got the BB Passport, and the entire qwerty keyboard acts as a trackpad for scrolling 360 degrees, works great for browsing if you don't want to touch the screen (I work in trades). Also has features like double-tap to position a cursor wherever you want by swiping left/right, and swiping right-> left to delete words.

It'd be interesting, IMO, if the home button was replaced to encompass the entire bottom portion of the screen for features like this, only instead of a physical keyboard, it'd be a separate part of the actual screen, maybe with notifications the likes of which are seen on the version of the Note 4 that has the curved edge screen. This could always be on so that you don't actually have to turn your entire phone on and swipe to unlock to interact with your notifications.

18. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Would bE blackberry type.. Wouldn't be that useful with a 5 inch screen right?

19. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

20. wermy macrumors regular

I was JUST thinking this same thing yesterday! Some things, especially gaming, would be great for this. Imagine using it for looking around in an FPS or something.

21. 617aircav Suspended

As opposed to doing those things on the screen, I can't see any advantage to this.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Could be used for universal gestures in the OS. Forward/back are pretty obvious. Swipe up could open the task switcher, and swipe down can bring down the notification menu. With the bigger screens, that would be easier than swiping from the top

23. zulugod macrumors member

zulugod

My bet for iphone 6s - Apple adds a heart rate sensor to the home button.

24. chabig macrumors 601

Chances are the touchID button isn't capable of acting as a touchscreen sensor. Sensing a double-tap is far different than discriminating position.

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

If they would just allow me to double tap the home button for multitasking instead of their stupid "one handed mode" that would make me pretty happy.