home button broke and iphone froze HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jonnybo20, Nov 18, 2009.

1. jonnybo20 macrumors newbie

ok so i am new here and new to apple!:)

i got the iphone 3g with rogers for a 3 year term in feb 2009 so not even and my first phone the power button stopped working and i could not do anything about it so i took it in to the apple store. after 45 mins of saying they cant help me its not their problem they gave me a new phone ...:(

NOW The new problem is the home button stopped working and the only way i could get it back to the main screen is to turn it off and back on .... AS I TURNED IT BACK ON IT FROZE !:mad::mad::mad:!!!! so i cant reset it or do anything !!!!!! its my birthday tomorrow and i also use my phone for work.

can anyone help me out and tell me what to do cause i have no idea what the He!! to do :confused::confused:

Please
    and thanks for the advice in advance !
    cheers

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

The only way really is to get the home button fixed - it isn't an easy job since the digitizer needs to come off the plastic frame to get to the home button. Sorry. The home buttons either fail where you press them or the contacts on the back either fall off or get corroded if moisture is around.

3. rvittori macrumors newbie

Nothing you can do except ask for Applecare on your phone for your birthday. Sorry.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Since you bought it in Feb it's under warranty as all iPhone's have a 1yr warranty on them. Take it to an Apple Store and you should be able to get it replaced for free. :) If there's no Apple Store nearby, file a claim on line and you can mail it to them for free as well.

5. wmaddox3 macrumors newbie

Home button fixed!!!

after dealing with this problem for some weeks, I remembered an old trick I had used to clean up contacts on PC addon boards....

remove the two screws at the bottom of the phone
    use a razorknife between the bezel and the screen to pry open the phone
    lay the phone open vertically - connector '3' will probably come loose
    use a NEW pencil eraser to clean the two pairs of contacts. one pair on the back of the phone and another pair on under the touchscreen.
    snap connector '3' back into place
    reassemble the phone

hope this helps -