Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5S owners, have you noticed a clicky sound when pressing the home button?

• Yes, definitely different feel and louder than previous iPhones

Votes: 63 72.4%
  • Yes, but no different than previous iPhones I have owned

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • No, but it's my first iPhone

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, 'mouse click' type sound when pressing the home button on my 5S

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
It's always been like that.

maybe it's just mine, but this definitely has a different sound than before, I've got two older iPhones in front of me, and the 5S definitely has a more pronounced click sound when releasing than before

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
maybe it's just mine, but this definitely has a different sound than before, I've got two older iPhones in front of me, and the 5S definitely has a more pronounced click sound when releasing than before

Well a newer phone will have a louder click because the button isn't "worn in" yet.

My 4S still has a clicky sound though, despite being 2 years old.

But again, the iPhone 5S has a newly designed button, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded different.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Is it me or the home button has a slight click sound when pressed?
I don't like that

My 5 does that. It makes a very pronounced click when pressed. Like a real button should, not like that fake .wav excuse of a click sound effect (which is pretty good actually) on the software keyboard. Me like. Sent from my iPhone 5.

iErick

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
The click sound on mine varies based on how the button is pressed. If I push toward the top it clicks, but if I push dead on, the click sound is less prominent

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
The click sound on mine varies based on how the button is pressed. If I push toward the top it clicks, but if I push dead on, the click sound is less prominent

This is pretty much how mine is. If I press toward any of the edges of the button, or the bottom, it's a quiet click. If I click in the center/top center it clicks pretty loud. I wonder if this is just part of the new button design or if some aren't assembled correctly.

crazyskater52

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
I bought 3 yesterday. Mine is the only one that has a very weird click sound and feel. The other two seem normal. So I'm assuming this isn't normal if 1 out of 3 are like this. Hoping apple can exchange it without having to wait.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
My iPhone 4s home button click was nearly silent. It was very subdued

When I got th iPhone 5 I noticed the click noise was very loud. It's stayed this loud too

Perhaps apple is using a stiffer component for the 5/5S/5C

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I bought 3 yesterday. Mine is the only one that has a very weird click sound and feel. The other two seem normal. So I'm assuming this isn't normal if 1 out of 3 are like this. Hoping apple can exchange it without having to wait.

that's what I was afraid of, I have had every single iPhone and iPad since the first one, and never experienced such a weird feel for the home button. Feels like a button you would get on another brand phone rather than Apple quality like button.

I'll keep using it for a couple of weeks in case it gets smoother over time, but will look into a replacement if not.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
clicking is not normal? all my iPhones since the first one has been defects then...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.