Home button fails to wake screen (sometimes)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayson A, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Jayson A macrumors 68000

It doesn't happen all the time, but every once in a while, I'll hit the home button to wake the screen up and nothing happens. I haven't had any other issues with the button (no issues with returning to the home screen or getting to the multitasking menu)

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm thinking it might be iOS 8 having a brain cramp and not responding to my click on wake.

iPhone 6 by the way.

2. Jades macrumors 6502

Same here including 8.1 beta 1
    Just installed beta 2, too early to tell if resolved
    Iphone 6

3. darkredcaffeine macrumors member

Same here (6 Plus). Very occasionally, maybe about once a day.

I was starting to wonder if it was a hardware issue.

4. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

i felt like this happened in the early ios7 days. like something running in while the screen is off. think/hope its Sw

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Haven't had this problem. Although I did have Reachability stop working yesterday, until I restarted my phone. Don't even know how long it hadn't been working, since I don't usually use that feature.

6. golfdude macrumors regular

Yes! Annoying as hell, it then activates Voice Control and it will sometimes dial some random person. I have to reboot phone otherwise it will keep happening. This happened on my 5s, on 7.x too. It must be a Touch ID bug.

7. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have this too on my 6. Its not a hardware issue as it only happens when waking the phone. I've tried pressing the home button softly from every angle with the screen on and it works every time. I probably wake the phone 100s of times a day it happens maybe 2-3 times a day. I do recall this happening from time to time on my 5S,5,4S,4 and pretty much every iPhone I have ever had to varying degrees. I could probably restore and set up as a new phone but its not worth the time for this very minor annoyance that many will not notice or care about.

8. tigress666, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, it's happened to me and I'm kinda paranoid the button is already breaking (I had this happen on my 4 and yes, I did notice it early with occasionally it not responding to the home button and until it happened more often I just attributed it to maybe I didn't press it that hard that time. I mean I don't remember when I first noticed it but it was pretty early when having the phone so I'm not totally unbelieving my few day old phone might already be doing the same thing. It eventually got to the point that it was very reliable in doing it often, ended up getting Apple to replace it on warranty before the warranty ran out).

I hope it's an iOS thing... harder to avoid using the home button this time when it's your way of unlocking the phone (ever since that phone I've babied my phones but using the accessibility function for the on screen home button. Even on the 6 I only use the home button to turn on/unlock and try to use the on screen one still).

9. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

Has happened to me since iOS 7 with my iPhone 5. Upgraded to the iPhone 6 with iOS 8, and it is still happening.