Home Button glows in the dark!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gregbenj, Dec 4, 2008.

1. gregbenj macrumors member

gregbenj

When I put my iphone under UV light at a store's display, I saw that the home button glowed [under the UV light] -- like those little stars I had (okay...still have) in my room to make it easier to fall asleep. Interesting optical property...

EDIT:
    It does glow when a light is on it and it happens to be in the dark too :) I understand the criticism for the thread title and am sorry so many people got worked up about it -- missed out somewhere on the lingo. Just reporting an observation. But The interesting thing is that all the other surfaces on the phone are under the same light, yet there is a contrast.

As coldplay would say: Lights will guide you home

G.B.:apple:

Attached Files:

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

So, Timothy Leary would have owned an iPhone? :D

3. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I tried it, and I got it to work a little, but it didn't really glow, you just saw the light. I think it's because of the way that the button is curved, that it's refracting the light in a certain way to give the effect that it's glowing.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Care to change the thread title? Your phone doesn't glow in the dark, it reacts to UV light. There's a difference....

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

A lot of things will look different in the same situation. Why would apple spend time and money just to do this, what would be the point?

6. gregbenj thread starter macrumors member

gregbenj

inter'stella'... tried to clarify title, but cannot edit it.

But:
    you think it 'reacts' to UV light meaning that there is a chemical reaction with the UV frequency?

or did you mean that the surface of the home button has optical properties that allows it to illuminate (glow??)

G.B.:apple:

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He means that it doesn't "glow in the dark," but rather it "glows when you shine a light on it."

Ok, that's cool, but not really the same thing! Love the picture, though!

8. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

hmm trippy.. what does the display look like when its on under the UV light?

Who still uses blacklights anyways?

Zack

9. svndmvn Guest

Same goes for my black plastic iPod nano and for the back of the 3g iPhone,guess you had a cover,take it off next time

10. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Don't mean to be pedantic, but what it's really doing is fluorescing: absorbing the UV energy and re-emiting it at another frequency in the visible range. The home button must be made of a material that has this property, where the glass screen that surrounds it doesn't. Just happenstance, rather than design, I'm sure.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

DId you buy your phone from a legit source? Maybe its stolen and someone has used UV marker to help ID it.

I have UV'd mine incase it gets nicked and recovered (unlikely I know). :rolleyes:

12. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Thank you! I've been wanting to say the same thing, and didn't want to pontificate.

It's the little things that bug me....:confused:

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Please do elaborate... I am a college student and have no qualms about taking excessive measures incase my stuff is stolen. :)

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have marked my iPhone with my signature with a UV marker. In normal light you can't see it but under a UV light you can. that way if my phone gets nicked and is recovered by the police but all my data is gone I can still prove its mine as I know where and what is invisibly marked on the phone.

15. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

sorry man , but I dont notice any glow in that button...:(

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

And where would one obtain said UV marker... :cool:

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I got mine from the UV marker fairy. It came through the post as part of a crime awareness thing launched by the local Police.

Maybe contact your local police station and you might get a few for free or failing that try a hardware or stationery store.

18. gregbenj thread starter macrumors member

gregbenj

The display is under the UV light

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I think you missed the key word...

20. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Amazon has a few different ones.

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Don't know if it's so much glowing but could be that because it's concave it reflects it differently than the rest of the phone.

22. svndmvn Guest

no,as I was saying earlier, same thing happens to 1st gen black iPod Nanos, white as well,I guess..and the back of the iPhone 3g too

23. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

24. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

this is one place