Home button gone crazy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by emvath, Mar 31, 2012.

1. emvath macrumors regular

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me with my Ipod touch.

I have a 3rd gen touch whose homebutton seems to think that it is being pushed at random times. About 3-7 times per minute it will act as if the button has been pressed. Usually quitting my app and taking me back to the home screen or "double clicking itself" and bringing up the task bar.

The button seems to be in fine shape and makes a nice solid click when pushed and comes right back up. I haven't dropped or gotten water on it. These are the things ive tried already:

Full restore
    Reset home button (power button until slide screen and then home button until home screen)
    Cleaning around the button with dry toothbrush bristles

None of those made any difference.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the sensor switch for the home button might be going bad ... thinks the home button is being pushed when it's not. I'd take it into Apple. Sounds like it's unusable as is.

3. emvath thread starter macrumors regular

Well I went in and talked to a "genius" today. He told me that since my ipod was six months out of warranty, the only thing I could do was buy a new one. Lame.

4. thegreati macrumors regular

They are wrong. You can go to a local repair shop or find one online. Most home button repairs for iTouch's are much cheaper than what Apple will charge you for a new one.

5. flashyman macrumors member

You should contact immediately with a technician