Home Button Is Failing, Can I Get It Replaced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fazzl, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and now the home button is failing, almost 100%. Sometimes it doesn't work at all and I have to click it like 20x.

I think warranty is up but is there a chance they will replace it still?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If the warranty is up, all you can do is politely ask if they can help you. Otherwise you'll either have to pay for the repair, wait for the new iPhone and get that or wait for the new iPhone and get an iPhone 4 at a reduced price.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Take it to an Apple store and be nice about it. You are certainly not the only one with this issue. Hopefully they will do the right thing and replace it for you for free. It might not hurt to mention that it started acting up a few months ago (while in warranty) and that you just had a chance now to get to the Apple store.

4. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I had a similar problem. The Genius Bar just switched out the iPhone at no cost, however that was last month when my iPhone was in warranty.

5. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

This is actually my 2nd iPhone 4. I got my first one replaced for the same problem in December.

Does anyone know if there is a do it yourself solution to this? Perhaps there is dust stuck or something?

6. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

For whatever reason mine is getting really bad lately, I'm hoping they are releasing an iPhone 5 soon, because my home button is taking 5-6 clicks before it ever registers. It's kind of embarrassing when you are trying to show someone something and it starts acting up. Of course when I went into the store, it was working PERFECTLY, and then as soon as I get home it starts acting up. Temperamental iPhone :(

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Ya same. Mine worked perfectly until yesterday.

8. mwhities macrumors 6502a

9. crkfc macrumors member

I got mine replaced for the same issue 2 weeks before the warranty was up (I also bought mine on launch day). I called AppleCare and set up the replacement that way. I didn't want to risk having the problem not show up when I took it to a store. They were nice about it and even waived the $29 advanced replacement fee. Call 1800-APL-CARE and see if they'll do it for you.

10. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

Ok cool

How did it work? Did you send them your phone first, then they sent replacement, or what?

11. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

My home button has failed on every iPhone and iPod that I've owned. I wish they would get rid of it.

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

I got mine replaced the day before 12 months was up .... mine was kinda failing maybe 1 time out of 5 ... Apple genius just clicked it a dozen times or so, noticed it missed a couple of clicks and said "Ok ... all i can do is offer to replace it ... that ok?"

Ermm.. let me think a sec :)

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Same problem here and the issue started roughly 4 days after Applecare ended. :mad:

About 1/10 presses work for me now. Double-clicking is downright impossible, clearly.

I'll probably do the same "ask them nicely and hope for the best" thing this weekend too.

14. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

If you are polite and approach it nicely, they will exchange it, without question.

15. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Just this weekend, I took my phone into the Apple Store with the same problem. They said I was 20-something days out of warranty, but they would go ahead and replace it anyway. So I traded in my old phone with a chip on the front for a brand new phone.

Just be nice when you go in.

Customer service like that will keep me an Apple customer for life.

16. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

Mine is failing too, out of warrant by 20 days, thing is, if I have my Otterbox Defender on, I have no issues, but without it, I can the same non responsive home button.

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Got mine switched for this on Saturday, warranty runs out tomorrow :D

18. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Just take it to the Apple Store. If they replace it? Great! If not, find some other way to fix it, like replacing the home button.