Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stringerbell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
On my second iphone (returned first one for dust under screen) I have noticed that the home button on this one is not as tight as the last one. When I press down lightly on it I can click it side to side and up and down. I have searched everywhere and can't find anyone who has this problem. I would like to know if I'm paranoid and if this should be overlooked over or if I should make it an even three iphones in two weeks. Does anyone have this problem? I should also mention the home button works fine but I'm concerned the button will get worse.

chriswheat

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
If you are concerned about it, return it. It should not wiggle around. I would return it, no sense in paying $600 for something that's not up to par. On the other hand, if it's something you can live with and don't want to go through the trouble...it probably won't cause any problems.

stringerbell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
I hear ya. I just find that battery life is better on this one and would not want to trade that for a cosmetic issue that I'm currently just fixated on. Thanks though for the advice.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My button was loose. Drove me nuts. It wiggled about a half millimeter back and forth with even the slightest touch. You could see it was loose, and you could hear it if you shook the phone a little.

I went to the Apple store to compare it to the display models, which obviously receive a lot more clicks in a day than mine. None of them were loose.

I exchanged it, but it wasn't easy. The Genius Bar said it was within spec, which in reality, it probably was. The repair guy said the same. I had to be persistant, moving up the chain of command til I found a manager that agreed it was annoying.

The replacement one they opened for me had a misaligned bezel...it was raised up over the glass one side, leaving a sharp exposed metal edge. They opened another one for me, but warned me that it would be the last exchange they'd honor. Fortunately the 3rd one was fine.

The moral is, they may exchange it for you, or they may balk. If they do, the new one may have some other issue, it may not. They may offer a 3rd one, they may not. They may tell you no more exchanges, they may not. Exchanges seem to be at the discretion of whoever's manning the ship at the time of your visit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.