Home button issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dojoman, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dojoman macrumors 65816

My home button has been acting kind of weird past few months. When I click home once sometime it will trigger the multitask bar as if I had pressed double. This happens randomly. Sometime clicking once does nothing. Is this the software issue or hardware button is failing? The problem is I cannot duplicate this problem. It seems to happen when I'm busy doing something like I was checking something on Safari and when I quit to home it will trigger this...Since I can't duplicate I doubt Genius bar will replace it.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Definitely hardware. Sounds like the button is just not perfect (and getting worse). I'm sure you can find a sympathetic Genius and get it replaced if it really bothers you. Other phones have gotten replaced for smaller reasons.

3. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Had the same issue for about a month. Tired of trying to blow and dust/lint from the button area. Made a genius Appt for May 2 to get this replaced. Mine started doing it every once in awhile. Then it got worse. Don't mess around. Apple will replace it if they can even find it misses just once. My only hope is the replacement doesn't have prox sensor or dropped calls issues. Fingers crossed.

4. dojoman thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I'm going to make an appointment.

5. Nothlit macrumors regular

It could be a hardware problem, but I had the exact same problem with my iPad, and it turned out to be a software glitch. If you have ever had an app crash (in my case, it was the Photos app when I tried to load a particularly large image file) then it could cause this behavior. I was able to fix it by performing a reset (hold down the home + power buttons together for several seconds until the phone reboots by itself and you see the Apple logo [you may see the "slide to power off" thing but don't slide, just keep holding the buttons]). This does not delete any of your data.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

In some cases this could be the problem. But I can tell you I did everything, including restoring as new. The button is even worst today so I rescheduled the genius bar appt for tomorrow. I want this gone!

7. xMClass macrumors 6502

There's a couple threads on this already, I had the same problem with my home button acting up, I set up an appointment with the Genius Bar and they replaced it within 5 minutes.

8. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Mine just started acting up as well. Worse comes to worse, it'll have better resale value once the iPhone 5 comes out if I get it replaced. I just hate re-installed, re-jbing, adding all my music, apps, blah blah. Egh. I'd pay someone to do all of that for me lol.