Home button latency??!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kirkbross, Jan 10, 2015.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Is it just me or does the 300ms+ delay after hitting your home button before it goes back (in all versions of iOS) drive you absolutely and utterly insane?

Navigating an iPhone is like walking through molasses. I can understand there being a tiny delay to OPEN apps, but to go back should be instantaneous, like hitting the minimize or close button on a browser window on a desktop. It feels like it's been designed into the OS intentionally and if so, the engineer who thought it served a purpose should be fired, then drawn and quartered, then burned, then imprisoned for 42 years. Or... at the VERY least scolded and ordered to remove the delay.

2. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

There is a delay, you're right, but it doesn't bug me too much, really, except for on my iPad mini 2 because iOS 8 is just really slow on it even though it's just s year old. Leaving an app is like waiting a full one or two seconds then a horrible jerk back to the home screen at times. It's fine sometimes but then other times it isn't.

Well, anyway. If you have triple click set to toggle any accessibility feature (like zoom, or to bring up a list of accessibility features) turn it off. Whenever you press the home button, the device has to wait a little longer to see if you are doing a triple click for a shortcut, causing some extra delay on top of the usual.

Also, go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Home-Click Speed>Default.

Other than that, not sure what else can help. Maybe enabling reduce motion.

3. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Delay is there because of double click. Even if you're in an app, how does it know if you want to go to home screen or go to app switcher? It has to wait to see if there's a second click every time. I agree, I hate that delay. If only we can do four finger swipe to bring up app switcher.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Hasn't bothered me before and I doubt it will in the future.

5. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

Slow down on the latte and the espresso and I think you'll notice a difference! :p

6. Newtons Apple, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You need to get used to the delay. It is so small and always been there.

Is this your first iPhone or what??!!

7. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, that is the reason. They could have shortened the delay, but the general population probably could not double click fast enough to make it work.

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Wow, I thought it worked great and very happy with iPhone. Now I am pissed and thinking of selling it--:p

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

300ms delay - don't blink or you will miss that delay.

10. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

lol yeah, maybe that is my problem. eyes are old and tired. i probably blink too much--;)

Seriously, it feels fine to me--:)

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Make sure you don't have a triple-click option turned on. That will slow things even more.

12. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Perhaps I have played too many video games in my life, but however long the delay is, it's too long and annoying as heck. If you add it up over a lifetime, it's like, what... six hundred extra years of free time?

I'd rather two buttons — one for single click and one for double click.

I also turn off all animation on my Mac Pro... don't need to see my windows collapse like a genie.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It clearly is designed that way. I'm experiencing on both my iPad Air and my iPhone 6, so it's not hardware related.
    It's a design choice, like it or not.
    It doesn't bother me much.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Do you mean like in the iPad ? I think it could be a problem on an iPhone 6...

15. I7guy macrumors G5

The delay never bothered me. Now that I know there is one I'm selling my device and going android. #

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep, off to Craigs List for me too!;)

I am not wasting my life waiting on that home button!

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I hadn't noticed a delay previously but have just looked for it and can confirm there is a 0.7 second delay after pressing the home button. I would sell my phone but do I want to inflict this type of unnecessary time wasting on somebody else? I don't think I could live with myself quite frankly. I'll bury it in the garden. :(

18. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Hmm forgot about that. 6 plus should be fine, maybe 3 finger swipe might work, but might be a problem with games requiring so many fingers and confuses the OS.

Does iPad have the delay if you can do 4 finger swipe up? Or does it still allow double click as well..

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

.7 seconds? Mine is maybe 250ms at most. Definitely not three quarters of a second.

Like I mentioned above, setting a triple-click function in Accessibility settings will slow the home button down even more. Check in there to see if you've turned anything on at any point.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Home button latency??!!

I don't need to check because this doesn't bother me. I haven't a clue how long the delay is, I guessed. I was being very tongue in cheek.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No problem. Some people above though are really making it seem like there's a near full-second delay from button press to function. And the delay is extended by setting a triple click function (one common one is triple click to invert screen).

22. I7guy macrumors G5

I use accessibility as I find it's faster than clicking the home button.

23. blwade macrumors 6502

The iphone 6+ is my first iphone.

I guess most of the time I double click anyways... I just select the home screen if that's where I'm trying to go. Often times I'm swapping to something already open or I'm closing the app...

24. NVD macrumors member

How would triple click add an extra delay to a single click? Wouldn't it only check for a third click using the same delay AFTER the second click only?

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

the animations on iOS are so slow it almost literally drives me up the wall! its the first thing i fix on a jailbroken device.