Home Button Loose/Deeper

Discussion in 'iPad' started by crimsontide165, Mar 16, 2012.

1. crimsontide165 macrumors member

crimsontide165

Just got the "new" iPad and it's really awesome, however the home button feels deeper and I can feel the edges of glass. Could it be messed up or is this normal? I have a 4s that feels fine I'm just wondering if it's suppose to be like this/deeper in on the iPad.

2. xMBPx macrumors regular

Sucks mate, not normal obviously. My home button is perfect. However, apple will claim that certain variations are normal, however unideal they are. I got the same run around with the home button on my iPhone.

Wish they would eliminate the button aspect sometimes for that reason and make it pressure sensitive. One less breaking point to worry about.

3. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I just posted about mine not being as responsive as my iPhone or iPad 2. Now that I rub my finger across, it does feel a bit deeper than the others.

Sucks.

4. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem, I just got mine from Apple store, do you think they will change it?

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have read that they will exchange it but they won't give you the new one until they have them available. Or you can just return or get credit.

Try calling them to make sure.

6. bob.loblaw macrumors member

Mine actually sticks up above the glass a little. The button click action and sound is different across 3 iPads and 2 iPhones I use on a regular basis.

7. pmz macrumors 68000

Mine is a little higher too. However I find thee action of the button to be softer and shorter. It's nice. I barely use the HB with all the gestures though.

Not worth complaining about.

8. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Most of the iPad 2's home buttons in the store all felt like this. It's awful. I was given a refurb unit last Xmas & the home button is so smooth. I would exchange it as it would just annoy the heck out of me.

9. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I went back to change it, they don't have the white iPad, so they me the black one. A dented home button is very annoying.

10. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Mine and my girlfriends are both the same. The home button is depressed slightly into the glass and you can SE it's not flush with the screen. There is even a slight space between the side of the glass and about 1/4 of the home button.

I'm not too worried about it for now since it doesnt seem to affect the functionality and I don't want to wait three weeks for a replacement.

11. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

You guys are pathetic.

Swap your iPad because you don't like how the button feels?

Sme people are NEVER happy! Think yourself lucky you have one!

12. crimsontide165 thread starter macrumors member

crimsontide165

Pathetic? For what? being annoyed by a loose and deep button on something
    we just payed over $800 gives us every right to want to swap it out.

13. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. The home button being deep is a legitimate issue, it does make the finger feels uncomfortable.

14. bobright macrumors 601

It's too bad I'd probably return just because it would bother me, mines flush.

15. AAPLFAN macrumors member

Mine creaks when I lightly slide my finger across it. Same thing if I lightly touch all around the home button. When I depress on it the button works but you can hear the extra creak before the click. Seems like the button is not centered or loose and not flushed. None of the other 2 ipad 2s and 2 iphones has this issue.

Should I bother to try to go to a store and exchange it? It does not seem like it will affect normal operation just a little irritating right now since it is new out of the box.

16. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Mine is like this too, but the screen is almost perfect. So I will not bother with it. I have 1 yr. to ponder it.

17. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I have torn down the iPad 2 (not crazy enough to do my new iPad) and the home button assembly is actually bonded to the glass with 3M adhesive. The bottom of the button is directly affixed to the screen. If this separates then the button will sit deeper and feel clicky.

18. AAPLFAN macrumors member

Thanks good to know. I am in your camp. Hate to exchange it due to a small issue and get a worse one. Plus not sure what is the stock level at Apple stores in Socal.

My ipad 2 has more light bleeds than some of those shown on this forum but it did not bother me since I don't watch movies in the dark and told myself I have one year to ponder it. Guess one year is up and I am keeping it haha! Well my dad is getting it :)

----------

You are cazy! But thanks for the info. It does not sit deeper but just has that loose feeling and clicks/creaks when I lightly touch it or run a finger over it. Just surprised to find it this way since we have 2 3GS, 2 4S, one ipad 1, and 2 ipad 2 and have never encountered this issue.

19. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I don't even use the home button any more. I'm totally into gestures. In fact the home button is annoying as I'm constantly accidentally hitting it when holding the ipad in landscape.

20. Lukeyy19, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

When I rub my finger over mine I can feel it is is slightly raised out of the glass, but the button works perfectly. When you look at the iPad side-on you can just about see its like a hair width higher than the glass, I'm still happy with it though - it's not enough to notice unless you're looking for it. but if you find yours uncomfortable or unsightly then I feel you should have every right to replace it, Apple market themselves as the pinnacle of quality, and as such you expect this quality from them.

Much like I wouldn't buy an Audi and just live with a radio that was protruding form the center console. But if I bought a Diatsu that probably wouldent bother me.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Same as the other poster here (Batavian) - I use gestures entirely now. (4 fingers) to go to the home screen.

My home button is recessed - and was on my previous defected iPad 3 as well. I can feel the glass - but the button works perfectly and doesn't bother me at all. It's the same on my iPhone 4s too. In fact, I cut myself a little bit on it. lol.

But the home button works perfect?!

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

When you spend that kind of money on something, you should be completely satisfied, no matter what this poster thinks!

Make a Genius appt!!

23. Cocolocco macrumors newbie

Ipad mini 2 home button

I noticed the deep home button of my ipad mini 2 but it didn't bother me at all... I seldom use the home button for I use the 'assistive touch' feature... They say the home button easily get stucked if constantly used and to avoid pressing it is the only solution... and I covered it so I can't accidentally click it too.

Attached Files: