Home button not as clicky

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ChrisWard1994, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ChrisWard1994 macrumors member

ChrisWard1994

My home button doesn't seem as clicky as other iPhones I've used. It also seems stiffer and sits lower than it should. I rang up apple and went for the express replacement. I've seen that they charge you if they don't think theres any service needed. The button itself seems to work so will they charge me?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I actually just had my iPhone 4 replaced on Thursday for the same reason. The first time I brought it in the weekend before, they took off the back and used compressed air to clean it out. They said if it didn't get better to come back in a few days, so I did and they replaced it immediately for free. I have AppleCare for it, though.

EDIT: Note that my home button was intermittently not working, though. If yours consistently works, they probably won't replace it. Mine would sometimes not register clicks, or would register a double-click as a single, or a single as a double, etc.

3. ChrisWard1994 thread starter macrumors member

ChrisWard1994

Well they send me a replacement and pick up my current phone at the same time (via ups). My home button misses an odd click but not too often. Although not sure if they'll charge a diagnostic or replacement charge if they don't think there's a problem.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's hard to know if you don't bring it into an Apple store. But I know that's not always a viable option, depending on where you live. I'm fortunate to live within walking distance of one, and public transportation of multiple.

5. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, and I am glad I searched before posting, but I am having the exact same issue (along with a few co-workers of mine). I also have an issue where my screen seems 'loose' and you can noticeably tell by touching around all areas of the screen, it will seem to click back into place. Mind you, this phone has never been dropped and cased half of the time.

I walked into my local Apple store (without an appointment) and had a few opinions from different employees.

The first: Did not believe me and said that this is a very strange problem and he does not hear any clicking, additionally the home key did work for the two times that he had pushed it.

The second: A very nice employee tried to explain to me that closing apps would help greatly. This is true, although I close out all of my apps regularly and there were no more than four open at the time.

My problem is that I do not have AppleCare for my phone - I am going to set an appointment this time to get a real look at it rather than popping in and seeing what the result may be. I will be sure to point it out on here as I know this is a common issue.

Any advice in the mean time?

6. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

So here's the update on my adventure today;

I went to the Apple Store to visit the Geniuses, gave them the run down and my story about the declining functionality of my Home Button. After my story and giving it a test drive, the only thing my assistant had focused on was the my phone was 37 days past it's one year (since I re-newed from my iPhone3).

The only thing he said he could physically do was to blow air up there and see if there are any objects/particles causing such performance issues. He had done this, and I pleaded to see if there would be any good graces gifts - too much dismay, there were not. I asked if there would be any way to write into someone locally or if going to AppleCare, etc would be a good idea and he had recommended to do so.

On my way out the door, I dialed AppleCare and went through the whole run down again, to which my first assistant seemed very non-chalant about saying sure, just put a deposit on a Credit Card and we can ship one, the hold will release when we receive the current phone. I was excited, not going to lie. I had to call back however to make sure the one credit card I had on hand would hold the amount of $600 and then call back. As I called back, I spoke with a different rep, and then another who refused to believe that we were going to simply swap the phones. After one full hour I went through the Help Desk, Supervisor, Supervisor Lead and Customer Service. Eventually after letting them know that I was now disappointed, as it seemed we would easily take care of this, I was told that although there are great customer service stories on here (and from personal experiences with co-workers, etc.) that they only do these things on case by case basis.

That being said, the Customer Service individual who I spoke with put me on hold to review my past I suppose, came back and let me know that they would honor the original statement of a replacement phone if we only placed a hold on a credit card.

All and all, somewhat of an annoying process, HOWEVER - Technically I was out of date on my one year plan, and while this post seems like arrant ranting, it is not. I am very pleased with the eventual outcome and that the AppleCare center had handled the situation.

7. ledlauzis, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

ledlauzis macrumors member

ledlauzis

I have the same problem with my iPhone but as I am not from US it is close to impossible to get something like this from Apple. They refused my claim while I still have a warranty.

We don't even have an option for extended Apple Care warranty. While I love Apple products I hate that customer experience is not the same in all countries.

Congrats with your new phone! :)

Btw this article helped to solve my problem: http://ubuntulife.net/iphone-home-button-not-working/
    Did I clean install and everything works great. At least for now

8. topocalypse macrumors member

maybe the spring wears out...
    mine seems less and less responsive as time moves forward (not that it ever moves backword lol)