Home button not waking up phone, and touch ID not working on 6 plus..... Please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ksstang, Mar 25, 2016.

1. ksstang macrumors newbie

So I purchased a used 6 plus from a individual recently. The phone looked to be in exceptional shape, other than a few small scratches on the back. I finally got around to getting it up and running last night and putting my backup of my 5s on it. I noticed when I first was setting up the 6 plus from scratch that it failed the touch ID portion of setup. I didn't think much of it since my touch ID hadn't worked on my 5s for so long.

So...... After getting my update on the 6 plus I noticed that when the phone was "asleep" that if you hit the home button nothing would happen. You can hit it as many times as you like and absolutely nothing will happen. So I then hit the power/sleep button on the side and it wakes up. I put in my 4 digit passcode and the phone unlocks and everything seems to work normally. Put it to sleep, and immediately try the home button to wake it up and it wakes up. You can go back and forth with it as many times as you want like that and it will work. Let the phone sit asleep for longer than 5 seconds and the home button once again becomes unresponsive to waking the phone.

I had also tried after getting the phone restored from my backup, trying to set up touch id. When you go into it and try sliding it on, it immediately goes to a failed screen. Please go back and try again.

So frustrating!!!!! I tried doing a reboot by holding the power and home button down until it reboots, and that didn't help anything.

Can someone please please please point me in the right direction of this. Very frustrated!!

Thanks,

Kyle

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like the button is malfunctioning.

Call the seller and get your money back.

3. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to as soon as I can!! Really upsets me!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can empathize - good luck, hopefully it will be a seamless procedure for your refund.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep, home button could be going bad or the screen could have been replaced poorly.

6. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, the phone is in exceptionally good shape. If I knew it was just the home button going bad, I would have a local repair shop just replace it. I don't HAVE to have the touch ID. I use a Otterbox defender case on all my phones anyway, and with those the touch ID is sometimes hard to use. IDK what to do!

7. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I would not keep it, I'd get my money back. If the seller did not disclose this who knows what else he might not have disclosed.
    Best cut losses as soon as possible.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The seller was not really being upfront with you, I'd not keep it, because but rather return it because you bought something under the impression is was in exceptionally good shape (your words), I'll say a non-functioning home button means the phone is not in exceptionally good shape. Its a major part of the phone and you cannot really use it,

9. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

That is true! I messaged the seller this morning and it shows he read the text, but hasn't responded. Imagine that!

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Can I ask why you didn't try everything out at the time of purchase and before you gave the seller your money? Or did you buy it online?

Also, does the home button ever work (E.g. Does it close an open app?).

11. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I didn't think about it! It was powered on at the time I purchased it from him. and I could see that it was at the setup screen. I verified that the touchscreen was working, but it honestly didn't cross my mind to check stuff like what was going on with it currently!

12. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Are you very far from an Apple store to have it's condition assessed?

13. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Maybe the seller had it replaced from a 3rd party, didnt work and unloaded it on you? I am obviously just guessing here but as the other folks have said, get your money back. Though I have a feeling the seller may just not respond.

14. ksstang thread starter macrumors newbie

I am about 30min from out nearest Apple Store.