Home Button Not Working + Contract Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by smt1192, Jun 3, 2010.

1. smt1192 macrumors regular

Hey guys, my father got a new iphone and he had no use for his old one. I popped my sim card in and i can use the phone but there is one problem, the home button is not working. I can press the home button and the top button at the same time and it will allow me to shut the phone off. This makes it seem like a software issue. Is there any known fix for this? I have seen people get replacements but I do not know if I am eligible

Anyways because I did not buy this phone and I am not signed up for an AT&T contract will they give me a replacement if that is the necessary fix for my home button?

In short here is what is wrong:
    -home button doesn't work
    -I am not original owner of phone nor am I signed up for AT&T data plan
    -I want to see if I can get a replacement

Thanks in advance

2. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Since it's an older phone it's most likely out of warranty. You could always restore your software to see if that helps, otherwise it can't hurt to stop by the genius bar. Never know.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

just find a local rapair shop in your area. it will cost $60 or less to replace the home button. At&t does not repair iPhones and it does not matter if you have a data plan when talking about repairs. they will send you to Apple and they will charge you $199 for an out of warranty repair and send you a refurbished phone. doesnt matter who bought it new.

4. smt1192 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm not really sure if I have a store near me willing to try to repair it. I would prefer a self fix because I really would rather save the sixty bucks. I tried resetting it and it still is broken

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you wont be able to fix it yourself. the home button repair requires that you remove the digitizer from the mid frame. if you dont know what you are doing you will damage your digitizer causing the repairs to go up!!

look on craigslist under cell phones and you will most likely find a local shop. beware of people out of their homes or that want to meet you at a fast food restaurant to take your phone to repair. while some of these guys do good work and are reputable you want to have a place to go back to if the repair is not done correctly. make sure they are using genuine apple parts also. the copy cat parts off eBay and Amazon dont work worth a dam! you might also google iphone repair and see if you can find a shop that way.

good luck

6. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I agree - do not try and repair it yourself. I have had to repair many phones whereby they have been DIY repaired which has virtually ruined them.