Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I am having some intermittent issues with the home button on my iPad mini retina purchased six months ago with applecare.

I sometimes have to press the home button 2-3 times before the iPad does something. It doesnt happen all the time but often enough to be irritating. My wife's iPhone 4 did something similar but I thought they changed the design.

Is there a way to fix this by cleaning it? I don't want to start messing with it incase I void my applecare warranty.

I've had some unpleasant experiences with Applecare warranty issues such as Apple Genius not wanting to fix/replace unit after iPhone battery not holding charge way under warranty period.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Have you considered blowing out in the charging area? I've heard that sometimes blowing out on the charging area may fix the issue. It may not be a permanent fix but it may help.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Hi,

I am having some intermittent issues with the home button on my iPad mini retina purchased six months ago with applecare.

I sometimes have to press the home button 2-3 times before the iPad does something. It doesnt happen all the time but often enough to be irritating. My wife's iPhone 4 did something similar but I thought they changed the design.

Is there a way to fix this by cleaning it? I don't want to start messing with it incase I void my applecare warranty.

I've had some unpleasant experiences with Applecare warranty issues such as Apple Genius not wanting to fix/replace unit after iPhone battery not holding charge way under warranty period.

Everyone with an iPhone 4 I know has a dead home button. Mine died at the 8 month mark.

With us, I bought the wife a mini 1, non Retina. My wife just uses the gestures. We never use the home button.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Hi,

I sometimes have to press the home button 2-3 times before the iPad does something. It doesnt happen all the time but often enough to be irritating. <snip>

Yup. Me too. Same exact thing here. I accidentally dropped my first iPad rMini that was purchased in November. AppleCare replaced it but this is the second one and I don't want to use another AppleCare replacement. I doubt they will replace at no charge.

charlyham

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Home button issue

I posted this a while back when another user was having an issue with the home button on his phone. Not sure if it will work on your problem on an iPad mini but it sure is worth a try.

My son's iPod home button was acting up also. I looked up the symptoms and found this forum. I also found another with a link to a remedy.
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-rec...re-responsive/
I tried it and his iPod home button now responds every time. Just thought I would share.

----------

Sorry, the link in the previous post doesn't seem to be working when I just tried it. Here is one that is working for me now.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-recalibrate-iphone-home-button-to-make-it-more-responsive/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.