Home button problems

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Makaveli6103, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 3GS jailbroken to 4.0.1. On both of them the home buttons do not work all of the time. If I restart them the functionality sometimes comes back. But both have activator and sbsettings installed.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Isn't jailbreaking awesome?

3. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Check your Activator setting, maybe another app like Backgrounder is assigned to use the Home button?

4. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

You're insinuating that a hardware issue was somehow caused by software? Of course, as mentioned by the poster above, if activator is set to another action then that would cause it to not work, but the sporadic issues he's having where it works sometimes and not others are definitely not caused by the jb.

5. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think is is caused by the jailbreak. I restored my phone to 4.0.1 without jailbreaking it and had no problems with the home button. I jb it and did not install activator after a few hours the same thing is happening. Sometimes the home button works and sometimes it doesn't.

6. Devilfish1 macrumors newbie

Although it dosnt make any sense, I'd have to agree with OP since I'm having the same issue on my iPhone 4 - noticed it about an hour after I jailbroke

7. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can confirm there is a problem with Activator. While I was having problems with the home button, the screen shot shortcut works (home button + sleep button), but when pressing the home button by itself does not work. I uninstalled Activator which then un-installed backgrounder, multifl0w and sbssettings, the home button worked again with no problems. This is a big problem because I use multif0w and sbssettings all of the time.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So far with 2 i4's, a 3GS and an iphone 3G all JB and never have any problems with the home button.
    Sbsettings with activator installed also.

9. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then what could be the problem? I installed activator once again and the problem came back but the screen shot shortcut works.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure, first time I ever heard of this issue with activator/sbsettings causing home button issues.
    Maybe try a DFU restore and dont restore from backup. Setup as new and see if it happens again after a fresh install and JB.

11. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. WTF! This is really annoying. I restored my phone to 4.0.1, set up as new phone and jailbroke it. I did not install anything through cydia except the essentials. After 4 days the home button stopped working again. I do not get it. Does anyone else have this problem or have a fix?

12. doboy macrumors 68000

When you restored, did you DFU restore? I think "normal" restore can leave some files/settings behind.

13. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

14. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK...So, I restored through DFU Mode 3 weeks ago and this problem came back again. I do not understand why this is happening. Any help?

15. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

I am having the same problem with iPhone 4..Home button doesnt work all the times..I have to respring it to make it work...

really annoyed.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

17. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking it is a hardware problem and want to bring it in. But why does it work for a bit then doesnt? Will they just replace my home button and not give me a new one because I don't want a new one with 4.1, even though it will be jailbroken soon.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt they will fix it, they will just replace it.

19. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

same thing happens to me. I can absolutely confirm that (in my case), it's jailbreak related. More specifically, I think it's activator/SBSettings related. I noticed this the first time I JB, so about a week ago when I restored/re-jailbroke, I made sure to test it before visiting jailbreakme.com. Wouldn't you know, no issues whatsoever. After JB, same thing. For me, the home button is either unresponsive, or it triggers as two presses instead of one. I can almost always replicate the following - short press = double press. If I hold the home button down for about half a second on the home screen (short press), the app switcher comes up. Short press again, goes back down. I thought it may be activator related so I went ahead and made sure nothing was assigned. And then I even purposely assigned "double tap home button" to the app switcher and set "single tap home button" to nothing. Still does the same thing. In fact it may not be activator/SBSettings related at all. But I don't remember for sure if it happened before I installed any packages.

20. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Good news, looks like an update to activator was just released, and it seems to fix the issue I described above! check it out guys

21. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I've had this issue, too. Have activator installed. (Update does not fix it, by the way). Single pressing does not work SOMETIMES (like every 2 days) but double pressing and screenshot works.

22. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Wow I'm having the same problem too!! I'm so happy that others are having it with JBing - I'd rather have it be able to be fixed by a software thing than bring it in and be forced to 4.1...now I gotta decide if home button unresponsiveness is better or worse than a lack of activator

EDIT: It also seems that if I press the home button with more force it always works...this is what had made me think it was a hardware problem. If I click it lightly, it never works

EDIT2: Activator update did NOT fix the problem

23. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

same here... a quick press doesnt always wake the phone, a long press does

24. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Try quickly pressing it with more pressure...I think it's the amount of pressure instead of the length

25. jalman11 macrumors member

I am confident that somehow Activator is not properly executing the home
    Button functionality anymore. Even if u assign "home button" functionality to another gesture or button.

Does anyone know how to get an older version, not having a launch into home is killing me.