Home button quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleiPad, Oct 14, 2011.

1. AppleiPad macrumors member

How are your guys' home buttons on the 4S?

I thought Apple did a great job of eliminating the soft home buttons found in the 3GS when they came out with the 4. The buttons in the 4 clicked really well and felt good, but my 4S has one that feels like the 3GS. It doesn't make a sound when you press it at all.

2. AppleiPad thread starter macrumors member

Is a home button that makes no 'click' sound reason enough to get a replacement from the Apple store?

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Hmm, my iPad 2 and iPod touch makes clicking noises with the home button. But I tried it with the iPhone 4 and it doesn't make clicking noise. I prefer it not making a clicking noise, it doesn't feel cheap.

4. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

5. wellok macrumors 6502

Mine just barely makes a sound I guess. It's softer than my brother's iPod Touch, but I like the feel a lot better on my iPhone. It's my first though so I can't compare to past models. I think it feels nice and substantial.

6. AppleiPad thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should go try the button on some of the floor models at the store and see. If mine is very different from the norm, would that be considered a manufacturer defect and they would replace it?

7. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

My home button sucks. It requires much more force to push compared to the ipad 2 and iPhone 4. No 'click' at all.

Went to apple store to compare. White floor models had good home buttons. Black ones had firm buttons like mine.

Now I'm hoping something breaks on it so I can get it replaced.

Btw the square on my home button is crooked. Don't know if that's an indication as to the build quality.

8. 1zach4 macrumors regular

Mine has a nice click to it....feels the same on my wife's white 4s as well

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Mine feels just like my old iPhone 4. I put a case over it anyways.

All in all, I'm very happy with my upgrade. AT&T in Orange County has become tolerable with the 4S.

edit----If only Siri worked haha.

10. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Let us know your experience with other phones and if you try and get yours replaced. Thanks.

11. AppleiPad thread starter macrumors member

Took it to the genius bar. Told them my battery sucks and the home button doesn't click. They laughed and sent me on my way.

Oh well.

12. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

it's called being brand new. it will begin to click over time with use. enjoy the fresh car smell while it lasts :rolleyes:

13. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Of course they sent you away without replacing it, as long as the button isn't faulty, a slightly less clicky button doesn't warrant a replacement at all. As for the battery, they have diagnostic tests that see whether the battery really is faulty or not, clearly it showed no signs of that and they rightfully dismissed your attempt to waste their time and iPhones.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've always been cursed with a squishy home button. Here's hoping the new iPhone I'm getting won't have the same issue.

15. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

16. EmilyMayhem macrumors member

My 3GS had a "squishy" home button with no click. I eventually got used to it, even though I preferred the click of my iPod Touch's home button. Thankfully, my 4S has a perfectly clicky home button and a sleep button that also seems clickier than the one on my 3GS.

17. erasr macrumors 6502

Mine makes a tiny click and it sounds/feels brilliant! I think it's just right.

18. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

mine is fine but to the poster with the crooked one return it! i had a crooked white 4s home button and returned it no problems

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Some people well always find something to complain about.

Your phone works fine. I'd laugh and send you on your way too...

20. mom333 macrumors regular

I love my 4S home button. My 3GS button was so dying.

21. colbertnation macrumors regular

Seriously, the greatest flaw in iPhones now is the home button. It's the most common hardware related iPhone problem, and one of the top reasons iPhones are taken to the Apple Store.

Hopefully they fix this by the next iPhone with something nice.