Home button replacement idea via AssistiveTouch

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by inselstudent, Jul 27, 2013.

1. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Hi,

alright, I've thought of a simple but IMO good way to enhance the functionality of the AssistiveTouch button which can be enabled in Settings>General>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch.

As it stands, it opens a menu of options, including a software home button.

But let's be honest. Those who use AssistiveTouch do it mainly to replace their broken home buttons.

So the AssistiveTouch button should act as follows:

The AssistiveTouch button should natively mimic the iPhone's home button if pressed once. A double click, or alternatively a press and hold, could open the multitasking view. To get to the normal AssistiveTouch menu, you could, for instance, press the button three times. Or, depending on the choice you made for the way to access the multitasking view, it could be a double click and a press and hold, respectively.

Just wanted to see how many people would be with me on this. Would you like an on-screen button as an alternative to the hardware home button? Remember it's just an option, if you don't like it you can just disable AssistiveTouch (or not enable it in the first place).

I've sent an enhancement request to Apple.

2. batting1000, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

batting1000 macrumors 604

I've used it since the day I loaded the iOS 5 betas. It's the first thing I've enabled every time I've restored my device or gotten a new one.

I would really like this idea. It does get annoying constantly chasing to open the UI and then clicking the buttons.

3. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I like it but yes I would like it how you said better.