Home button replacement (Touch 4g)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macstatic, Jan 27, 2015.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

My iPod Touch 4g seems to have a worn out home button as the problem has only gotten worse recently. I've tried the calibration but it definitely seems like a hardware failure of the actual button so I'm trying to figure out how to fix this myself.

From what I've heard I can open up the device using a hairdryer (to soften the glue) which then gains me access to the button. I see replacements being sold at eBay but I'm not sure what I should look for: "home button flex cable", "Home menu gasket button" or "Home button with spacer"? I'm guessing the cable by seeing the photos...

2. theatremusician macrumors member

theatremusician

It's a known (and really annoying) issue with the 4g iPod Touch. Apple should really have done a recall on this model.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

Workaround

Settings >accessibility> assistive touch

This may help until you are able to repair the home button. It's my permanent solution for the same issue.

4. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know about the assistive touch if it stops working altogether.

So if this is a known and common issue, does it also mean that by replacing the actual mechanical button I'll be getting the same problem back soon?

5. venomgt95 macrumors 6502

venomgt95

6. 6r4ff3r macrumors member

It happens sometimes in my iPod touch 4gen too, but unless Apple makes a recall, i will not spend money to change it. Assistive touch serves well for the purpose...

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Maybe, but it's such a cheap part, and they normally last a few years before going.

8. AsmaMohd macrumors newbie

AsmaMohd

9. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

For me on my IpT5 running ios7.0.4
    Settings > General > accessibility> assistive touch

First saw this on a floor model Iph6/+. Thought it was something new to that

10. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent instructions! I've received my "home button ribbon cable" which I ordered from China via eBay so time permitting I'll give it a go. I'm a little nervous about damaging it though as (according to the instructions) there are some extremely delicate parts inside. Anyone here done the repair?