Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hey

Over the last couple of weeks noticed that the home button wasn't responding when I pressed it the first now, and since yesterday it was stopped working all together.

What can I do, its a first generation iPod Touch (got it october 2007), oh it was purchased in the UK but I'm currently working in Orlando until May - don't know if that makes any difference.

Thanks

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It sounds like you will need to restore the device. I'd plug if into iTunes and run the restore. That should fix it. If it doesn't you will have to get it replaced or repaired.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It sounds like you will need to restore the device. I'd plug if into iTunes and run the restore. That should fix it. If it doesn't you will have to get it replaced or repaired.

Its restoring as I type this message... also literally just found someone else on here how has had the same problems so going to read that post until everything is restored.
Thanks

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
It's a known hardware fault with the 1st generation touch. Was an issue where Apple replaced under warranty. If you purchased Apple Care extended warranty you will probably get a replacement.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
It's a known hardware fault with the 1st generation touch. Was an issue where Apple replaced under warranty. If you purchased Apple Care extended warranty you will probably get a replacement.

:( I didn't get the Apple Care extended warranty. So my choice are now either get a new one, or see if someone can fix it?

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005

Can you provide a link for this "known fault", because google is only showing a handful of instances and I've only found one other post about it on these forums.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Is a known fault simply because I had mine replaced under warranty and Apple Service advised me of the known issue when I telephoned them. Also do a search in these forums and you will find other posts regarding the issue. Also look up the Apple User Forums on the Apple site and do a search and you will find many others. Let your fingers do the walking...........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.