Home button sunk in...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silvetti, May 6, 2013.

1. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Hey Boys and Girls!

Quick question, If you go to a Genius Appointment in an Apple Store with an iPhone that has a sunk in home button do they:

A - Replace the phone with a refurb

B - Repair the button

?

Thanks for the help :)

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Depends on the model:

iPhone 3G/3GS - Replace the display
    iPhone 4/4S - Replace the phone
    iPhone 5 - Replace the home button

3. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

iPhone 5...

I'm wondering what I should do...

Thing is I live in Poland and when you take any iPhone to repair they usually just swap out for a refurb usually takes 2-3 days.

I'm also travelling to Barcelona in two weeks and thought of making a Genius appointment to have them check the phone and probably swap the button or give me refurb on the spot.

Phone besides the button has almost no cosmetic damage besides a tiny kink on one corner (dropped it :( ), but it's small.

What would you do ? Try to swap for a refurb of just have it repaired ?

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Do the obvious! Make an appointment to see a Genius, get advice and then make a decision (all by yourself ;))!

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The Apple store in Barcelona wont be able to swap a Polish phone. Service for phones bought in Poland is only available in Poland unfortunately.

6. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

I'm sorry, where did you get that info ?

When I had an iPhone 4 bought in Portugal I had no problem dealing with it in Poland and getting it replaced with a refurb. Why would it be any different in Spain since Poland and Spain are both EU countries and under the same Apple manufacturers warranty ?

Specially since I bought it on Apple Online Store (.pl)

7. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Don't listen to the above advice. All Iphones in the Europe region are covered for warranty in all EU countries. You will be fine, to make an appointment with the genius in Barcelona.

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Apple product warranty is worldwide. I had an iPad replaced in the USA that I purchased in England. Plus an iPod replaced in Spain also bought in England.

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If u bring ur phone 5 into an apple store with a defective home button, they will NOT replace the button. They will give u a replacement device every time. And don't worry about a refurb. They are just as good as new. But if ur OCD kicks in, just thoroughly inspect the device while still in the store. And if its not "perfect", kindly ask for another.

10. Brian Y, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

Brian Y macrumors 68040

I'll go through these one by one. It's amazing how many people are ready to go with bad advice and shoot down the correct info - crazy!

Actually, no it is not. iPhones are limited to the country in which they are purchased - apple warranties are worldwide - but not iPhone. Don't believe me, check the T&C (this is the UK one, but it's the same): http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english-uk.html

This applies to iPhone, and certain iPad 3/4G Models. It's actually region specific - regions that use the same internal model can be swapped (e.g. us/canada), and some of Europe, but LP/A phones are Poland specific, nowhere else stocks them.

If you get service while in spain, it'll be sent back to AppleCare in Poland for them to swap and send back to you. Why waste time - if any advice needs ignoring, it's the above.

See above. iPods/iPads have a worldwide warranty. iPhones do not.

As of the iPhone 5, they have started replacing home buttons. If they're busy, they may swap it out, but they DO have home button parts, and it's their policy to replace them.

I'll refer you to:

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/iphone-5-evolution-repair.html
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/20096087#20096087

11. abz1981 macrumors 65816

The keyword here is 'May' restrict your warranty. That does mean that they will. To the OP your best bet is to go ahead and make the appointment with the Genius Bar in Barcelona please update this thread with the outcome.

12. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

You are reading a UK warranty, it's different, as I just read the Portuguese version and it states:
    A Apple poderá restringir o serviço de garantia para iPhone e iPad ao Espaço Económico Europeu (EEE) e na Suíça. A assistência a produtos iPhone ou iPad só poderá ser efetuada pela Apple ou por um AASP.

Spanish version (which I also speak):
    Apple puede restringir el servicio de garantía para el iPad y el iPhone per il Espacio Económico Europeo (EEE) y Suiza. Solo Apple o un AASP pueden prestar servicio para productos iPhone o iPad.

Same thing European Economic Area, weird thing is I believe UK is part of it :D

So apparently if you buy a phone anywhere in EEA you can repair it even in UK, if you buy it in UK you can only repair/have it exchanged there :D

I already told you I bought iPhone 4 in Portugal and had it replaced 3!!! times in different Apple Technical centers in Poland with no questions asked where I bought it even, only thing they checked was the SN if it had valid warranty.

In any case I will update this topic after my trip (17-19th May) so if you want to be informed follow the topic ;)

Thank you guys for all the help! :)

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You can't, but there you go. B661 stock cannot be assigned to a LP phone. But disbelieve me if you want.

Please do update the thread!

14. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

So to sum it up, yes you can :)

I went to Barcelona store (one of them) and they first said they would replace the button, the genius said it would take 10 min maximum. After 2-3 minutes he came back saying that they were out of stock for buttons so next option would be swapping the phone for a refurb, I agreed and 5 minutes later I had a new phone :)

So at least inside EU (maybe excluding UK) you can have your phone serviced on ANY Apple store (retail).

Hope this might help someone with the same questions :)