Home Button Too Sensitive

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by u2jrmw, Nov 5, 2013.

1. u2jrmw macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 4th gen iPad from Craigslist. It is great with one exception, the home button is over sensitive. Meaning that it will randomly revert to the home screen or in some case bring up siri because it thinks it is being held down.

I am convinced it is a mechanical issue as I have done a reset to factory settings with no positive result.

Additionally if I press the screen or bezel in the vicinity of the home button it acts like a button press...

It is still under warranty, should I take it to an Apple store?

After discovering the problem I also noticed the plastic that is between the bezel and aluminum is kind of nicked up. Could this be indicative of someone already having taken the unit apart, or is that normal for a used iPad?

What should I tell/not tell the Apple store?

Any help would be great.

2. thegreati macrumors regular

This sometimes happens with a bend in the backplate putting pressure on the home button flex, a faulty home button flex, or something is wrong with the devices Logic Board.

There are a few shops offer diagnosis or repairs for these devices are reasonable costs.

Best of luck!

3. u2jrmw thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's something along those lines. If I put pressure in the lower left bezel and keep holding for 30 seconds it vastly improves for a while.

Any idea of my chances at the Apple store?

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Could be

5. thegreati macrumors regular

Apple will offer you what is called an "Out of warranty swap" You are looking at them taking the device from you, you handing them roughly 300 dollars and them handing you a refurbished device.

6. u2jrmw thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though it is still under warranty?

$300 doesn't sound too tempting.

7. thegreati macrumors regular

If Apple discovers its been worked on it is no longer under warranty(They will find out one way or another, or one way or another find a way to tell you it is no longer under warranty). I agree the price isn't very tempting but it is what Apple offers in situations like this. You could also try a repair shop and look at prices in the double digits.

Best of Luck!

8. u2jrmw thread starter macrumors newbie

9. thegreati macrumors regular

Thats great!

Enjoy