Home button unresponsive at times

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daonesteven, Jan 7, 2012.

1. daonesteven macrumors 6502

Have an iphone 4 with a home button that is occasionally unresponsive. It works the vast majority of the time, but once in a while, I have to press it an additional time or sometimes I've had it go unresponsive as 4-5 additional presses but those are rather rare. I've been researching on forums and I've definitely seen several threads with the same issue but I'm not sure whether this is something I'll be able to replace at the apple store, as I'll likely be unable to reproduce in store. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on whether it's a software or hardware issue, but my button click itself is pretty solid so at least on appearance, it doesn't seem like anything's wrong, but the unresponsiveness has been often enough that it's been noticeable.

Anyone with the same symptoms been able to successfully replace theirs at the apple store?

2. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

it's a common issue with the iPhone 4... (you'll find tons of threads about it) tons of tons of multitasking usage I guess I had the same issue.

it will start to get more unresponsive as time goes by... that's why on my new 4S I use the assistive touch home button I hated so much when my home button started to die on my iPhone 4.

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

4. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Its worked for some and not for others. Seemed to work for my old iphone 4 before I got my 4s. It could be just a mental thing too lol

5. Benchtech macrumors member

Mine does it and has done on most of my iPhones, hopefully Apple will put out a fix, odd how it doesn't affect everyone though.

6. Mac2012 macrumors regular

You just wore it out... maybe you should put it down for a bit and find a hobby he he...

7. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I had a Verizon iPhone 4 with the same issue, but more frequently. Apple replaced it for me no problem.

8. Mac2012 macrumors regular

Because they aren't wearing the switch out because they aren't glued to it like the one's having the issues due to just wearing the damn thing out.

9. Benchtech macrumors member

Have you had your little moment of fame? Got the attention your after?

Good.

Now when you're over attention seeking perhaps you could be a little more helpful to people on here?

10. phi7588 macrumors member

Try the alcohol trick. Just make sure you set your iPhone off. Cotton ball+Alcohol

11. Mac2012 macrumors regular

I'm famous now haha! No, just try to not live on your phone and wear the damn thing out in a few months he he... I still want just a piece of glass across the front with a soft home button instead of the physical one... then you can just WEAR out the glass in that spot then some may actually take note at how much they are glued to their phones he he...

12. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

I was having this issue as well. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does its quite annoying. I tried the recalibrate resolution and so far all is well. I'll have to wait and see if its resolved the problem.