Home button unresponsive on ip4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlyanks85, May 19, 2011.

1. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

My iphone 4 has been perfect since I bought it. Suddenly in the last 25 mins (was perfectly fine this morning) the home button is unresponsive. I'll be texting somebody, and I can't get out of the texting app since the home button is unresponsive when I press it.

I've restarted it like 5 times, even updated it to the most recent firmware and that hasn't done a single thing.

Is there anything I can do before I would have to bring it to apple? Since I can't get to a apple store until at least next week.

2. Born Again macrumors regular

Steve would tell u ur holding it wrong but

Close ur apps in multitasking

Free up ram

3. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the thing I can't close apps in multitasking since nothing happens when I double click the home button.

4. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

hmm... it does sound software related though. I would sync/do a restore on it

5. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

My son's day one iP4 started acting this way about a month ago. Apple store replaced it no questions asked.

6. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I got mine replaced for a semi-responsive home button (would work after a few tries) no questions asked. But yours is a little extreme and too sudden to be mechanical (unless you spilt something on it, dropped it, etc.)

7. Perihelion macrumors regular

Replaced with a NEW phone or replaced with a refurb?

8. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Mine started doing that as well about 3 months ago and just kept getting worse and worse. At times it would be fine and then others, very unresponsive. I ended up taking it to the Genius Bar and they gave me a new phone.

BTW, since mine was intermittent, when I went in it didn't happen at 1st and the genius guy said that if he can't see it doing it, there's nothing he could do about it, but then as he was playing with the home button, it just started being unresponsive. Timing is everything!

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Gah, you're (almost) unlucky, I was so afraid the Genius was going to do that to me (as my phone decided at that point to work, and it had been getting bad enough I figured I could actually get it to repeat the problem).

He just took me at my word and replaced it (though he did mention he did feel a difference in feel between the button on my phone and the replacement phone).

I vote that it's a hardware problem. I noticed my button started doing this and after that it would have bouts of working like crap, followed by bouts of working fine. It started having less and less bouts of working fine though. I think it was slower though than OP's (rather it had short bouts of not working at first).

Could be whatever wears out in them pretty much broke entirely on OP's phone though (That can happen too).

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do you people really think this is still funny? I guess I shouldn't be surprised from someone with Born Again as their handle who doesn't understand how iOS multitasking works.

11. Born Again macrumors regular

That's right it's not real multitasking

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I really believe it is an issue when availiable ram is fairly low

At least that is what I am noticing

13. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I disagree. I know that RAM runs slow but what I've noticed then is my iphone lags like crazy doing anything (pause pause pause, now respond). It's why I insist on keeping the programs on my multi task bar down to 4-6 (yes, I know not all are multi-tasking but I'm not going to bother to figure out which ones are and which aren't, easier just to keep the list down to a min. of apps I use most or need to stay running). It's different with the home button (it just doesn't respond period to the button until you finally manage to get it to ackowledge a click but will respond to anything else like the power button or taps on the screen).

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Ugh, I may try for a replacement this weekend

It is annoying to have it work with no issues then it will take 2-3 presses to exit an app or 2 presses wont bring up the task bar, etc

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Nothing you can do.

Just bring it into one of our Apple stores and an associate will be able to help you out.

Make an appointment beforehand as we do tend to be busy.

16. ninn macrumors member

Yeah, take it in. I just got back from an Apple store for my home button acting funky and either not working, or doing the double/triple click thing. I was in and out with a replacement in 15 minutes with an appointment.

17. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

There is another long thread about this same topic on here that I posted in about my experience, so I will just give the short version.

Button was acting wrong. Brought it in. Replaced it without even checking to see if what I said was true. Said he did not need to check because he knows it is intermittent. Also said this has been an issue since the first iphone and that the home buttons often get defective with use. Said with iOS 4 and multi-pressing doing different actions, more people have been likely noticing the problems and bring their phones in.

My refurb phone worked perfect for about 3 months. Now lately again I will have a single press register as a double press. Only once in a great while for now though. Probably is gonna get worse again as more time goes on. Oh well. :( At least I know they will replace them.

18. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is only like a month and half old and I am having some mush issues. It isn't clicking but rather being rather mushy. I don't know if it warrants a replacement though...Maybe if it gets worse. I hope my Apple store doesn't give me crap about it though.

19. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Went to the apple store yesterday for this issue and they replaced it.:cool: