Home cinema setup

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jimbojet, May 1, 2013.

1. Jimbojet macrumors newbie

I have just bought the Apple TV and am trying to install through a home cinema system
    I have the hdmi cable connected to the tv but for audio I have the optical cable.
    Trouble is I seem to have to unplug this from the tv and into Apple TV each time I want to play audio

I only have 1 optical output on the home cinema so have to share this between the tv and the Apple TV

Anyone got any suggestions if there is a better way of doing this

2. 98EXL macrumors regular

What device are you plugging your AppleTV into?

Do you have a AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) or not?

3. Jimbojet thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm plugging into a Samsung home theatre system, I've got hdmi from Apple TV to TV but currently have optical cable from TV to cinema system, so assuming I will have to re direct optical cable from Apple TV to cinema system eac time I am using,
    Unless you can suggest otherwise

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

HDMI is providing digital audio to your TV, and it sounds like your TV provides optical audio to your AV receiver. This is how my system is set up and it works fine. You should not need to use the optical port on your ATV at all.

edit: Unless part of what you want to do is play music via AirPlay through the AV receiver when the TV is not turned on. That would not work with the setup I describe. When I want to listen to music through my AVR I turn on the television & just let the album art play.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Does your Samsung support ARC? ( Audio Return Channel) if it does, you should be able to plug the ATV into the Home cinema system and then plug and HDMI cable into the TV activating ARC. Your TV manual should tell you...My Sony works that way.,

I have an Onkyo AVR into which all my devices are cabled using HDMI...One HDMI cable then goes to the TV and the audio is dealt with without the need for an optical cabel.

Also check your TV for updates.....When my Sony was brand new it didn't support the feature...it was implemented in an update a month or so after I bought it.