Home Cinema system?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andy.barron, Oct 5, 2007.

1. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Hi all.

I have just purchased a 40" Samsung LCD 1080 & wondered what was the best surround sound/dvd system to get?

Things I would like/need to consider & compare are:
    1. output (wattage)
    2. hdmi & optical connectivity
    3. Tall boy speakers (sad I know but they look so cool!)
    4. plugging your iPod in

I don't mind seperates & I welcome your suggestions & url links would be fantastic!

As usual your experience on this is greatly appreciated!:D

2. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Naimfan for your quick feedback.

Perhaps I should have given a budget. I am looking at between £250-£500 or should I be looking at integrated systems?

sorry if I am now coming across as a cheapskate non-purest:(

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Andy--

When you want the very best......

I have zero idea of what's available in that price range in the UK. But I would think that your budget probably puts you in the all in one range--I don't think you'll manage a new component system. That said, if you don't mind considering used gear, you can do very well. There are all sorts of used audio gear websites, take a look and see what you can find. A couple brand suggestions for receivers, at least, would be Rotel, NAD, and perhaps Marantz. Out of those, I'd go for a used Rotel--fabulous sound and reliability.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You be pretty well off with an Onkyo Home Theater in a Box (HTiB) system. They sound just as good as systems twice their price. Best part is they sell the same receivers alone so you know they aren't lower quality. I have a 7.1 set which cost me $550 a year ago and it is phenomenal for the price. Not sure what's available in the UK though.

5. Owb1 macrumors newbie

i have the same tv

I have the same tv and i have to say that the best system you could go for is the samsung ht-tx35r with tall boy speakers. It's 800 watts which is really loud when u consider the size of them. Also HDMI upscaling on the dvd which comes in handy for the non HD quality dvd's. It also compliments the tv perfectly. I've had mine now for over a month and for £250 (gbp) it's the best all in one 5.1 dvd home surround sound out there.
    Also for another £50 u can get the back speakers on wifi which is really handy as no cables needed.
    If you need more info/pics just give me a shout.

Bueno

Owb

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

OK, I just have to say this: Wattage, by itself, has NOTHING to do with how loud a system will play. I can put together a 3 watt system that will play louder than the 800 watt system OWB just recommended.

Quality matters a lot more than sheer wattage or volume. A good receiver with cheap speakers will sound better than the reverse. Go try it.

7. Owb1 macrumors newbie

?!?!?

i totally agree. the only thing i was pointing out was for value for money it's a good system. The sound quality is also spot on for a sub £300 system.
    Sorry if not a master in these things, he asked for an opinion and thats what i gave, my opinion on the system i've used for the past month.
    People can be so up their own ***** sometimes>!>

Owb

8. Owb1 macrumors newbie

Naimfan

Naimfan

Sorry the last post, i've just had my house robbed today so i'm a bit on tenderhooks. Lost my MBP and my G4 powerbook.
    Lucky the imac was too heavy take, and the tv and surround!!!
    Hope the insurance pays out now!!

Didnt mean any offence.

Peace

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Ack! I am sorry to hear that! That is awful.

I join you in hoping insurance pays up--If you were in the US I'd suggest having your receipts etc. available to prove you had it and to show the replacement cost.

Good luck!

(And no offence taken!)

10. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks OWB1 for your reply in such an excessive personal circumstance. I do wish you the best of luck with obtaining your posessions back.:(

I feel somewhat that my question pains into insignificance considering your loss, but if any consolation, you have been a great help.

My best of luck again.

11. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

Just quickly though Naimfan, do you think the system Owb1 has suggested is that bad? I had a look at some of the reviews of the system & they look pretty good?

If you could perhaps give me a pointer to what you think would be your recomendation for the price (a url link would be great mate) as you seem to know your stuff.

Thanks again & I wish the best to Owb1.