Home cook cat food?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adroit, Apr 16, 2007.

1. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

So after all the pet food recall news on the front page I've decided to feed our cat home cook food. I've bought some liver and ground pork and tried many different ways to cook and also tried different recipes that I've found online but the kitty doesn't seem to like it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else have had the same problem? And for people who have pets what are you feeding them right now? The cat is use to eating Fancy Feast and would not eat anything else.:(

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Chicken?

Can usually find some sales on it in stores. Cat here doesn't mind it boiled or crock potted.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

My girlfriend makes her own cat food. She feeds her some raw chicken with some veggie/vitamin kibble that the cat seems to love. Go for dark chicken, not breast, as it has more nutrients. She also throws in a liver every now and then, as it's good for her.

I would recommend staying away from pork, just go with raw chicken.

Also, she just recently got this book, which might be helpful to you:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157954973X/102-1564054-2653712

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seems like more work than worth since not all food was affected. But if you must, try some salmon.

5. adroit thread starter macrumors 6502

adroit

Do you have any reasons why we should stay away from pork? And RAW chicken? really?

Thanks for all the responses everyone

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I just feel like pork might be more prone to diseases raw. Uh, and yeah, animals tend to eat meat raw. Their bodies are made to be able to digest it that way. Only people cook stuff, so I would recommend finding some good organic chicken, and feeding your cat that, raw.

7. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I have cooked for our dogs before, and highly recommend cooking for your animals.

It's my understanding that cats are far more 'delicate' as far as what they eat - there should be quite a few books available that will help you with recipies for your cat - there are hundreds for dogs. Don't 'wing it.' You can hurt your pet with the wrong food. BTW, different breeds will require different foods for the best results.

Benefits for dogs (allergic to cats): Never, ever had to give our dogs a bath, they always smelled great - except for the time one got hit by a skunk! Breath always smelled clean. "Yard bombs" didn't stink - really! Nice soft coat. No fleas - ever. I know it sounds hard to believe, but that's all true. I would never have believed it if I hadn't cooked for our dogs and seen it with my own eyes, and smelled it with my own nose!

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Your veterinarian should be able to put you in touch with a board certified nutritionist who could probably help you whip up some mean dishes for your kitty.

You might be able to find your own board certified kitty nutritionist here.

Here's to good home cookin'.

:)

9. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I'm currently trying this myself and I must say I'm not having the best of luck. I have three cats-Taz, Gizmo, and Tigger, youngest to the oldest. Taz will eat just almost anything. Gizmo is a freak for chicken and filet mignon, and not much else, and Tigger, the eldest, is just so set in her ways that I can't get her to eat anything but that craptastic Fancy Feast. Each cat is different so what some cats like yours might not. I would recommend that you definitely clear everything with your vet first (although in my experience, while they will offer nutrition assistance when pressed for it they will also try to push whatever canned food they offer at the office). You don't want to end up harming them. I initially tried the raw meat and even Taz wouldn't touch it. Weird. Kudos for caring enough to venture that far. :) A lot of people couldn't care less about what they feed their furry friends.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

My cat is such a freaking diva, he probably wouldn't eat anything I cook for him. I mean, he wouldn't even eat and attack a cockroach for me today!

How do y'all convince your cats to eat what you make for it?

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Google for information on the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet. We put our kitty on this when she had terminal thyroid cancer and was not getting enough nutrition from the filler stuffed commercial foods. She loved the raw food diet, especially the liver.

Our vet (Dr. Kirby, McKenzie Vet. Clinic on Carey Rd., BTW) gave us a plastic bag of mineral supplement powder to add to the organ meats and raw meat, a pinch of powder per meal, in place of actually grinding up bones.

We prepared a weeks worth in advance, and put it into single serving containers, then froze what we couldnt feed her right away. Then later thaw that day's food, or if in a hurry, mucrovave justg enough to thaw, but not cook. Fish IIRC should always be frozen to kill parasites, I assume that's helpful for pork etc too.

Cheers
    Trevor

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why not go for tuna? When I used to make tuna sandwiches for myself in my parents' kitchen, my cat used to come downstairs and to my kitchen. It was quite a long trip. She must have had a great sense of smell.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think everyone is missing the big picture.

If the cat gets hungry enough, the cat will eat whatever is available.

We only feed our cats IAMs dry food. Though they do try and get into anything they can get into. There's no need to spend so much on wet food. They can get all the nutrition they need (plus it's better for their teef) from dry food.

14. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This particular Fancy Feast is what my cat likes the most. I've tried all kinds of high dollar can food and dry foods, but this is what she wants. She does eat some Iams dry food in between helpings of Fancy Feast though. I give her straight tuna once in awhile, but she still prefers the Fancy Feast. This particular flavour doesn't have wheat gluten in it, which is helpful. I divide the contents into four sections with a knife, then I place one section onto a glass dish and shred it by using two forks. That makes it easier for her to eat.

Fancy Feast Cod, Sole & Shrimp Flavour
    [​IMG]

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Was about to say the same thing.

Prissy cats! :p

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This probably goes back to:

Dogs have owners.
    Cats have servants.

Do't get me wrong, I spoil my cats with love, but they eat what I give them and they're happy about it.

[​IMG]

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

A lot of us pet owners are at the mercy of the pet food makers.

It gets real scary if I think about it for too long. :(

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think it's scarier when the pet owners are at the mercy of the pet. (or the pet's finicky eating habits)

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

My cat tells me what to do; she's the boss. :)

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary

21. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I tried eating only one type of cereal (and nothing else) once...it got boring rather quick. :)

Freaking hilarious! And completely true! ;)

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Our cats normally gets usual cat food...

But when we want to give them a treat we get some frozen pollock (which, basically is the cheapest fish we can get hold of). Then we just let it simmer for ten minutes...

...which the cats generally think is way to long to wait:

P9140019.jpg

:)

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah.. but you are self-aware and have a more refined pallette than kitty.

LOL... great picture Mithy. :)

I see kitty is in what I call "Low Power Mode" that typically occurs before feeding time.

24. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Did you steal that from me?

j/k it's all over the web.

As far as feeding, let them outside, they'll eat mice and birds and whatnot.

25. adroit thread starter macrumors 6502

adroit

We never noticed that some of them don't contain wheat gluten. Maybe we can buy selected flavours for him to give as treats once in a while. He seems to like anything from fancy feast except the beef flavour. Maybe that's why he didn't like the beef liver we bought for him :p

We finaly found something other than fancy feast that he will eat. Straight tune from the can. I don't know if we want to keep that up though.

Thanks for all the info everyone. We're going to try to give him a more balanced diet from now on.