Home Design Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Live Steam, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Live Steam macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a decent cad/home design/landscape design suite for OS X? It's 2014 and it feels like it's 1994 after searching for something that isn't basic and limited. I feel like I got cheated after purchasing the Punch Home Design Complete suite. It is less than adequate and very limited in it's capabilities. I'm not looking for something super sophisticated as I don't want a steep learning curve, but at this point in time I would think there were some good offerings out there. I just haven't found one yet. Any suggestions?

2. Donson macrumors newbie

Try "Draftsight" by Dessault. It's free and very similar to AutoCad.

I am not an experienced AutoCad user but my copy would no longer work on my windows computer. Don't remember exactly but think I was using ver 12 when Win 98 came out and would no longer run it.

Being retired and drawing just for my own use, I did not want to put lots of money into a newer Autocad program. Heard about Draftsight and began using it on Win 98. Judging from my limited experience with AutoCad, Draftsight looked just like a copy of AutoCad with slightly different commands.
    Then bought an iMac and discovered the Mac version of it.Have been using both the Win and Mac versions of Draftsight and am very happy with it. It's not 3D but then I never needed that.

Again, it's free.