Home Directory on External HDD via AirDisk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chemeddy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Chemeddy macrumors member

Chemeddy

I just got my Mac last night. I want to move my Home Directory to an external hard-disk drive connect to my Aiport Extreme Base Station. How can I go about doing it?

Is it also recommended? Of should I just leave my stuff on my mac instead?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm not sure if it's even possible to do that particular thing, given some of the quirks of AirDisk.

You can use some Unix tricks to put your home directory on a drive other than the startup drive, but putting it on a network volume is probably not a great idea.

For one thing, at best, it'll be slow compared to a local drive. You'll pretty much need to put your web browser (and other) caches on a local drive, or it'll be PAINFULLY slow. And if you're on a 100BT or worse yet wireless network, it'll be that much worse. OSX Server, for example, offers this functionality, but for example at the lab I manage (100BT wired network), I haven't bothered to use it because it's just too slow to be worth it--much easier to just have people store their files on the server.

Then there's the issue if you lose the network connection (more of a problem with wireless)--you're totally dead in the water until it comes back. And if your connection isn't available when you first log in for some reason, you may end up with a "bare" account with nothing but default settings.

Basically, unless you have a VERY good reason to put it on a network volume (say, you want to use the account from any of several networked computers), it's a FAR better idea to just store your files on an Airdisk or whatever other form of network volume, and mount that.

That is much faster (since only the files you actually want to be on the external disk are), bypasses the whole cache and other "background file" issue, and will generally be considerably more stable.