Home/End/PgUp/PgDown - moving cursor, selecting text and navigating in lists

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jkbrzt, Jan 15, 2011.

1. jkbrzt, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

jkbrzt macrumors newbie

I'm coming from Linux and am confused by the inconsistency of Mac OS when it comes to moving cursor, selecting text, navigating in lists and selecting items. I have done some research and tried a couple of different ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeybinding.dict configurations, but none of those have solved my problem.

What I'd like to achieve is basically to configure the keyboard shortcuts the same way how it works on Linux/Windows:

• End: move cursor the end of the line / select the last item in the list
    • Cmd+End: move cursor to the end of the document / go to the last item
    • Cmd+Shift+End: select to the end of the document / select to the last item
    • PgDown: move cursor one page down / scroll one page down the list and select an item
    • Shift+PgDown: select a page of text / scroll and select one page of items

The Home key/PgUp should work accordingly.

Is it possible to configure Mac OSX so that these keys work as described above consistently in all apps?

If it is not, then please tell me how do you quickly navigate through long lists such as your iTunes library, how do you work with long text documents in an effective way, or how did you personally cope with the differences between your previous OS and Mac OS in this regard after you have switched.

Thanks!

2. Sethii macrumors newbie

I'm confused by the same thing than op.

Somebody have a tip for this ?

3. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Well, it's a different OS with a different way of doing things. Is your requirement to change the keybindings to mimic Linux, or just to find equivalent keys in the Mac OS to do what you want?

Generally, Home and End move to the beginning and end of a document. Command left-arrow and command right-arrow move to the beginning and end of a line. Holding down shift at the same time will select that text.

It sounds like you already know about those keys. Is there some other functionality you're trying to get?

4. Sethii macrumors newbie

Oups ... thanks for the ctrl-a / ctrl-e tip ^^