Home entertainment

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cain772, Oct 8, 2014.

1. cain772 macrumors member

I have a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable External Hard Drive that I have all my media on. I want to be able to connect it to my Samsung TV using its USB port. My question is is their any software that I can purchase to help organize it so I can look stuff up with easy while hooked up to my TV?

2. orestes1984, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I think that your first point of call providing your television supports it is to make sure all your movies and TV shows have there metadata. If you've got your metadata all sorted it out you should be able to sort your movies however you like. I think Samsung TVs have a basic DLNA service to read metadata but it's pretty feature poor

If that fails you, you might want to look at an intermediary DLNA server that can handle it. Windows has one built into it called Windows Media Player that will handle all of your metadata and keep all your files neatly organised. Other free alternatives exist such as MiniDLNA, Plex, and XBMC and of course there is Apple's Apple TV, and any number of other alternatives including WD TV, Amazon Fire TV and etc...

See how you go just by correctly tagging your files first with something like iDentify and then come back if you want more assistance in where to go for an intermediary solution.