home entertainment

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevinjsanderson, Nov 4, 2009.

1. kevinjsanderson macrumors newbie

right, long one here, please bear with me!!!!

i have a broken macbook, screen has snapped off, works fine through a monitor so this is my plan........

plug it, via dvi-vga into my lcd tv, and use it to play dvd's ( my dvd player has just given up the ghost), also use the itunes on it to play music in the living room, i have a set of jbl creature speakers to use, , i think this bit is straight forward,

however... i would also like to use the jbl's to play the tv and wii through, but dont want to replug all the time. so, can i plug the jbl's straight into the tv, then this should play through the vga cable? or does this not carry sound? if this is the case can i run a seperate phone from the headphone socket on the macbook to the tv?

hope this makes sense!!!!

thanks in anticipation for any thoughts

Kev

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The speakers would have to be plugged in directly to the device for the sound to come through it or the device plugged into something inbetween the speakers and itself.

If the TV has a set of speakers plugged into it's output, then you should be able to plug the laptop into an audio input (headphone jack to RCA red/white conencters, cheap). Then you would just switch the input as normal on the TV (between Wii/laptop, input1/input2) and the sound would be recieved from that device and will make its way through the TV's output speakers.

The only issue I can think of, is if the VGA input has a matching audio input. If not, then say when you switch the TV to "input VGA", sound will only come out the laptop itself similar to a projector.

Wii-------\
    :::::::::::TV----- Speakers
    Laptop---/

If that were the case with the VGA input, you could get a switcher thingy (that's the technical term) that would allow you to plug the laptop, TV and wii (just their audio sections, video for each will still go into the TV), and then have that hooked up to the speakers.

My brain is skipping on that diagram though if I am even right about my idea.