Home finance package for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by potlatch, Apr 10, 2007.

1. potlatch macrumors member

I'd like a flexible home financing/accounts package for Mac. Even better if it's free.

I'm slowly learning the ins and outs of MS Excel, but it'd be great to have a decent accounting package.

What's out there?

2. justG macrumors member

justG

This is a pretty crowded category, but I don't know of any competent freeware applications in it. Also, are you looking for an accounting solution, or something to manage your household's bank accounts? When I was looking for an app in this category, I just wanted something to manage my personal finances. After trying nearly every solution I could find, I settled on iBank. It presented a good balance of form and function and has, I think, quite a lot of potential.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your search.

3. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

For personal finance, I'm happy with Quicken 2007.

4. justG macrumors member

justG

Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that they're "happy" with Quicken/Mac. As for Cha-Ching, it's a cute app for basic use, but doesn't compare to more robust applications.

5. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Check out MoneyDance. It has similar features to Quicken. It was written in java, so it will work on any platform that supports java - Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, etc.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, if you're going to use a Windows environment through any of the available means, Quicken Windows (Deluxe) is been pretty good for me for the last 8 years. I manage EVERYTHING in it, even my vacation accrual (and my iPhone slush fund).

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Not sure about that, justG. I've been using it for a while, and while it's right-this-second feature set might lack some of the hardcore features of Quicken or MS Money, their 1.0 release is coming up in a few days and should include a number of more advanced features.

Besides, most people's needs lean to the less intense anyway. I, personally, love Cha-Ching and can't wait for 1.0 to be released. So, chalk up another vote for Cha-Ching :)

8. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

my main frustration with quicken for mac is the horrible download transaction matching. i have alot of same amount transaction in a month and quicken for mac just cannot deal with this.

i am looking at ibank, chching, and money dance. will any these options allow direct download (not .qif downloan and then import), direct bill pay, and has decent transaction matching?

9. iancapable macrumors 6502

iancapable

I keep thinking I want to write one... I have a fantastic spreadsheet I use for managing my finances and I think I should base it on that.