Home folder disappeared from Users Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LeoLady, Oct 22, 2007.

1. LeoLady macrumors newbie

LeoLady

Hi all....

First of all, congrats on a great site! While I was searching the forums looking for my problem I came across some informative posts which have certainly educated this switcher... me! :p

My problem is that somehow or other (obviously something I've done), my Home Folder is no longer visible in the Users Folder. It's still in the Finder toolbar so I've got access to all my stuff, but when I use Super Duper to back up user files my Home folder is missing.

I'd like to restore it to it's rightful place but I'm not sure how to go about this. :confused:

I have been for the past 8 months the proud owner of a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz core2duo with 2GB RAM running 10.4.10

Cheers

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3. LeoLady thread starter macrumors newbie

LeoLady

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm 99.9% sure I didn't change the short name (I've read too many posts warning against that). Is there any other way this could have happened? I almost messed up my applications folder by moving it!

Thanks for the links, I'll have a browse through them now.

btw, thinking about my applications folder, I wanted to move it a position or two up the toolbar but slid too far to the right and the folder went 'poof' ... gone! I created a new folder and copied all applications only to find I ended up with 2 of everything.

PS. The short name on my home folder is the same as it's always been - not changed!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have no idea what you did, but if what happened is what I think happened, then the fix is really quite simple. Drag the folder you want (or its little proxy icon at the top of the window, if the folder you want is currently open) to the Sidebar, which will create a link to it there. Alternatively, you can open Finder's preferences and check the checkboxes for commonly used Sidebar items, to get them back if you accidentally "poof" them.

5. 1020 macrumors regular

Did you accidentally move it somewhere? When you click on it in the finder sidebar, press cmd+I and see where it says your home folder is located.

6. LeoLady thread starter macrumors newbie

LeoLady

Hi 1020.
    Yeah, the 'get info' tells me it's in /users but i've looked in there and it's invisible. :eek: I need to find out how to make it visible - where's Harry Potter? :D

Hi wrldwzrd89

My Home folder is in the sidebar. And thanks for the advice on how to recover a 'poofed' folder. I had half an inckling that the sidebar contained shortcuts - you've helped to confirm that for me.

Cheers

7. LeoLady thread starter macrumors newbie

LeoLady

Hey ... I fixed it..!!

Found a little application called Kilometre which shows/hides hidden files.

My Home folder was hidden so I went into File, Get Info and unchecked the 'hidden' box.

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers!