Home Folder Encryption

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 537635, Aug 16, 2009.

1. 537635 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to use TrueCrypt? Meaning the partition would mount before the login and I could move the entire home folder to this partition?

Any alternatives? (besides File Vault...)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

TrueCrypt needs a password, and it can't be synced to the login. Other than doing PGP full disk encryption, FileVault is the only way to have your home directory encrypted at login.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You can encrypt your home folder using OS X's FileVault like angelwatt said.

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Why not just use full-disk encryption with TrueCrypt? You can create two disk partitions:

1. Boot Partition including home folder (whole partition encrypted with TrueCrypt)
    2. Other documents you don't need encrypted (in my case a load of photos and video files I don't want to slow down the system).

What you are suggesting (I think) - having a separate partition for home folder, encrypted with Truecrypt, may or may not be possible, but I don't see what the advantage is.....

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

TrueCrypt only supports FAT (hopefully that changes one day), and Mac needs HFS for the boot partition, so your idea won't work. Only the PGP method I linked can do that currently. Also, the encryption won't cause a noticeable slow down when you have extra stuff encrypted. I use encrypted systems at home and work and don't notice any slowing except when FileVault reclaims space at reboot/shutdown. I rarely do that though.

6. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Wow, I didn't realise that.... that sucks. Sorry I was only going off my TrueCrypt-on-Windows experience. The partition scheme I suggested was what I used then, I just figured (wrongly, it seems) that TrueCrypt had the same functionality on Mac.

7. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

PS - You're right that encryption doesn't slow things down much. I was quite happy with Truecrypt system-encryption under Windows.
    But for editing many GBs of video and large numbers of high-res photos - neither of which needed encryption - I figured it made more sense to store them on another partition to avoid any slowdown at all, and also to keep CPU/battery usage to a minimum, given that it was a laptop.

8. 537635 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for your answers.

occamsrazor: As they told you, great idea which would be perfect - if True Crypt supported system disk encryption.

angelwatt: I was afraid of that...

I use Dropbox to backup my data. It works on-the-fly and it supports revisions. The problem is, that if I put Dropxbox folder inside File Vault, I loose the search capabilities (it's some weird bug...).

It would be ideal if TrueCrypt could start before login, ask for the password and mount the volume.

I know about PGP supporting system disk encryption, but I prefer open software when dealing with encryption.