Home folder Icons, where are they stored?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Inconsequential, May 27, 2010.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I've made symlinks to folders off the HD and i've lost some of the icons.

Where are they stored (for them to come up in new user accounts!) so I can add them again?

Cheers

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/HomeFolderIcon.icns

3. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Perfect.

Now how do I get the "Places" icons back in the left hand pane of the finder windows? :/

Edit: Image:

[​IMG]

The folder icons in the finder are fine now but I want the icons on the Sidebar back!!! CandyBar fixed the folder icons but won't fix them, ideas?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar section > Places list
    check 'em

Do you know how it disappeared? (I do!)

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That is not the OPs question. The OP wants the special places icons back instead of the generic folder icons.

The screenshot clearly shows that there are places in the list, the question was how to get the icons back.

6. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

Interestingly, the options to actually select the folders are gone from the preference panes.

Turns out moving stuff off my SSD is a pain in the backside.

Any ideas people? :(

7. spikebrain macrumors newbie

I know you can move the files over to your other drive and then move your home directory...
    To do that you go to Accounts in System Preferences, unlock if necessary and then right click on your account and click Advanced Options. There you can change the "Home directory" location to where you copied the contents. It'll have to reboot when you change it.
    Problem is if you do that you can't unmount the drive the home directory is on (in case you want to only use the ssd on trips to save battery life)

Right now my home directory is on my SSD but all my movies/music etc is on the SSD. I'd love to get the home folder icons back in the finder sidebar. You can just re-create the empty folders in the home directory and copy paste the folder icon from the get info window (top left corner, click on the folder icon), but this doesn't get you the nifty finder sidebar icons...
    Help anyone?