Home Folder Name Change

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .Apocalypse., Sep 21, 2010.

1. .Apocalypse. macrumors newbie

Yes, I am aware that there are plenty of other threads asking this question, and that there is even a page in Apple Support regarding the solution to this. The reason I've come here is because nothing I've come across has worked so far.

Apple Support, and various replies to threads, have all told me that I must enable the root user, log in as the root user, and then navigate to the Users folder, at which point I could then re-name my home folder as I would normally do with any other folder, and then create a new account with the same name as the folder.

What I did was enable the root, log in as the root, and then go to the Users folder. That's where I was forced to stop, as I was still unable to edit the Home folder's name. I normally change folder names by right-clicking on the folder, selecting Get Info, and then just editing name in the little window that pops up. I know that you can also click on the folder and press enter, which is much faster. Neither of these methods worked; I'm still unable to edit the Home folder.

My account is the first and only account to have been made on the computer, obviously making me an administrator, so there shouldn't be a problem there. I have a Mac OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard.

I recently tried to edit it after reading another thread on this forum by going to the Account Preferences and right-clicking my user to access the Advanced Options. I changed my user's name to what I'd wanted it to be known as, and it did nothing to the Home folder. So I went back to change it back to what it was, and I'm unable to unlock the Lock button. I haven't logged out, and am unsure as to whether or not I'll be able to log back in again. I tried unlocking it with my account name, the name I'd changed when I was last able to access that area (which is the same as my account name), and the name it used to be, and none of them are working. This worries me greatly, as I'm now unable to log out, in case I'd be restricted from logging back in.

Much thanks to anyone who can help me with this problem.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First piece of advice.
    Change the font you're using to post this. Its horrible on the eyes. I had to cut out the text and read it in a text editor.

Secondly changing your short name, and/or home name is not something that is recommended by apple as it can mess stuff up.

IF you cannot rename a folder when you logged in as root. Did you make sure the little lock icon on the get info box of the folder is unlocked?

3. .Apocalypse. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the font; it looked fine on my screen.

I had clicked the lock icon in the Get Info window, but it hadn't unlocked the ability to edit the folder's name.

I've since fixed the problem, though, by re-setting my computer with the installation discs, and I just got it up and running again this morning, so this topic is really no longer needed. Thank you for the help anyways, it's much appreciated.