Home Folder Permissions issue...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mklos, Apr 26, 2008.

1. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Every time I move a folder around on my iMac using Leopard it asks for my password. Doesn't matter what file in my home folder and where its going. Even if I try to move a document from my documents folder to the desktop, it will prompt for my password.

-I have NOT changed my username.

-I did do a get info on my Home folder and it says I have read/write access.

-I also did a get info on all of the other folders inside my home folder and it says I have read/write access.

You cannot repair permissions because it doesn't repair the permissions of the Users folders for obvious reasons. So don't even think of that as a solution.

2. mklos thread starter macrumors 68000

mklos

Nevermind...it was solved by copy and pasting this into a terminal window 1 line at a time:

chmod -R +a "everyone deny delete" ~/

chmod -R -a "everyone deny delete" ~/

chmod +a "everyone deny delete" ~/ ~/Desktop ~/Documents ~/Downloads ~/Library ~/Movies ~/Music ~/Pictures ~/Public ~/Public/Drop\ Box ~/Sites

Posted for future use here. It seems to be a common problem in Leopard if you play around with the permissions in the get info part of your home folder.

3. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

We should make this a sticky!

Thanks so much!

History:
    I just bought a new Intel MBPro with 10.5.2 and used migration assistant to copy over files from a 10.4.11 PB. Huge problems ever since - the biggest problem started yesterday when the system just hung trying to calibrate the 10.5.4 update, forcing me to shutdown during boot.

Reinstalled Leopard from DVD, and then today I have lost read/write access to all of my files in my home directory due to this mysterious extra "everyone".

Today: After running those commands (pasted into Terminal), all is good now! Cheers!

4. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

More problems...

Even after the fix, I still had more problems...

Finally fixed using info from this thread:

And the command:

chmod -R -N ~

Posted here for future reference, Cheers!