Home Folder Renaming Possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeeS4335, Jul 27, 2009.

1. BeeS4335 macrumors member

Hi to anyone who reads this:
    My question is:
    Having bought a new MacBook Pro, am I able to change the Home Folder name? I'm sure whoever inherits my MBA would not want the home folder to be in my name forever more. I've tried to change through normal method but get message "OS X needs...".
    Any input welcome with my thanks.

2. steerpikegg macrumors member

I think this is right ...

Just create a new user account and, assuming you want to copy the files, (replace <oldaccount> or <newaccount> with the actual account names)

sudo cp -r /users/<oldaccount>/ /users/<newaccount>

sudo chown -R <newaccount> /users/<newaccount>

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Or you could right-click you user name in the Accounts prefpane for Advanced Options. You need to type in your password to be able to alter settings here. I can not guarantee that it will work. I can't remember where I read about this tip.

Be careful with whatever route you decide to go. I would probably go with the official suggestion from Apple.

edit.. found the link to the article about the tip I mentioned http://www.macworld.com/article/132693/2008/03/changeshortusername.html

Also, please backup your stuff before proceeding with any tip. People speak about empty home folders when changing usernames. I guess it's because they just enter a new name for their folder in the Finder.