Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
Hi,

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but would appreciate any advice anyone could give...

I updated my 2010 MBP Hard drive from the standard 250GB to a Seagate 750GB drive last August, mainly to back up my DVD collection onto the computer for use with iTunes and my Apple TV 2.

The issue I have is that my home folder where all my iTunes content is stored amongst other things totaling around 450GB is showing that it only has 33GB left, but when I select the main hard drive in Finder it shows there is over 200GB of space left :/

Could someone possibly shed some light on how I can add this space to my Home Folder?

Many Thanks in advance

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A couple of things, first use the Disk Utility to see if there's any problems with the drive.

Secondly I'd recommend OmnidiskSweeper to produce a list of folders/files sorted by usage. You'll see how the space is being consumed.

I'm not sure why you're seeing a difference in free space, which is why I recommend using Disk Utility to first check the health of the drive.

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
thanks for your response..

I have ran disk utility on the hard drive and it says all appears to be ok

just ran OmniDiskSweeper and it is shoiwng 432.8GB is in the 'Users' folder of the hard drive..which is where my home folder is..

then it goes:

Applications - 19.4 GB
Library - 9.5 GB
Developer - 9.3 GB
Private - 5.1 GB

Thanks

jmbrown91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Northampton, UK
Solved!

After chatting with some people on Apple Support Community, turns out the issue was down to FileVault and transferring/migrating a FileVaulted folder (in my case the home folder) to a new, bigger hard drive.

After updating to Lion, Snow Leopard's FileVault is known as Legacy FileVault in Lion which needs to be turned off (unless you require the extra security).

In my case this requires backing up all files in the Home Folder to an external hard drive (making sure it is encryption free on the external drive so you can access it again) then removing all files from that Home Folder, turning off Legacy FileVault then moving the files back into the Home Folder.

A link to this issue from Apple Support Pages is below:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24068

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.