Home Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JMW16, Jul 10, 2010.

1. JMW16 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a Macbook running Leopard and am having problems with the wireless internet at home. Everything works fine when I take my computer other places - just not at home. The trouble is that while some pages load fine, others do not display correctly or simply don't even load at all. The other computers on this network (all PCs) run fine, so I am guessing that it has something to do with settings on my computer, the router, or both. Unfortunately, though, I have no idea what to try. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I have a Macbook running Leopard and am having problems with the wireless internet at home. Everything works fine when I take my computer other places - just not at home. The trouble is that while some pages load fine, others do not display correctly or simply don't even load at all. The other computers on this network (all PCs) run fine, so I am guessing that it has something to do with settings on my computer, the router, or both. Unfortunately, though, I have no idea what to try. Any help will be greatly appreciated."

I'm not a "wireless guy" (100% "wired" here at home) and don't pretend to be one.

But I'd suggest this before going further:

Get yourself an Ethernet cable, and connect the MacBook to your router at home.

Do the problems disappear, or do they remain?

The purpose of this test is to determine whether the problems lies only in a wireless connection, or if it is in ALL types of connections.

If you have the same problems "wired" as with wireless, it may indicate that the wireless portion of your connection is OK, and that the fault lies elsewhere (internet connection itself, etc.)

3. JMW16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I tried I tried using an ethernet cable from the router and had the same problems. While I was at it, though, I plugged my computer in to the ethernet cable which brings internet into the router, bypassing it all together. Everything worked fine then, so I am guessing it's a router setting.

Any more suggestions?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Okay, I tried I tried using an ethernet cable from the router and had the same problems. While I was at it, though, I plugged my computer in to the ethernet cable which brings internet into the router, bypassing it all together. Everything worked fine then, so I am guessing it's a router setting.
    Any more suggestions?"

- Could the cable between the dsl/cable modem and the router be defective? Router itself might be ok, but if the connecting cable is marginal, the connection could be intermittent.

- If the cable seems ok, get out the manual for the router (or download a "pdf" format manual from the manufacturer's website), and start diagnosing what could be wrong. I'm going to take a _wild guess_ that your DNS settings might need "fixing" in the router setup (could very well be wrong).

- Replace the router altogether with a different one.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Something you might want to also check, I ran into this with a wired connection thou.
    In your network preference >> Advanced>>Ethernet>>Configure set to Automatically or do you have it set to something else? Your router may not be able to handle a higher speed as a result you will drop packets or not connect at all.

IE your router is an older version and is 10/100 where you have your network card set to gig speed. Not the automatic so it is trying to push everything through at the gig speed which the router can't handle. Just a suggestion.