Home Internet setup with iPad or 3G SIM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AnTaR3s, Oct 23, 2014.

1. AnTaR3s macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Hey everyone

I have this really stupid problem, that I can't have a regular internet connection like everyone else at home. The cheapest solution here by far is to by a SIM with an unlimited 3G plan, insert it into my iPad and then just set up a hotspot at home where all my devices can connect.

Now I have a number of additional problems:

1) The iPad (3rd gen) is just not good enough to provide a reliable connection throughout my entire apartment. I regularly stream movies and TV shows and copy files, so I need at least an 'n' WiFi with very good signal strength.
    2) Because of #1 I used to plug my iPad into my iMac and let the Mac the create the hotspot. Now this does not work anymore with Yosemite and frankly, I am also tired of having my iMac powered on all the time just to have WiFi...

Therefore I am looking for a more elegant solution. So my question is how a setup where I use only a 3G SIM with a reliable WiFi setup would look like...
    Do you know any good SIM routers that can create a strong WiFI network? Also, I guess it's not possible to use an Airport Extreme and share my iPad's connection to it via USB...?!
    I would really appreciate any good ideas on how set up at good network. #

cheers

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

You can use an Airport Express as a WiFi repeater. There are also a number of other repeaters on the market. You have some bandwidth limitations when using it in this mode but it should be sufficient for a single user.

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Unlimited att iPad data plan, att mifi liberate hotspot, problem solved.