Home Inventory?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danny_w, Jun 23, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I've been lax and never really done a home inventory, but would really like to get on the ball and get one done. Is Bento a good product for this? My trial for Bento ran out without my ever really getting to try it, and now I notice that they have a Home Inventory template for it. What does everybody here use? I can't seem to find much for the Mac.

2. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

That looks really neat, but it looks like it is more for library collections (book, cd, dvd) than it is for general home inventory. Do people really use it for that? Can you attach pictures and descriptions of articles?

EDIT: Does anybody know what I need to delete in order to reinstall the Bento trial? It keeps telling me that my trial period is over, even after I uninstalled it (and deleted the Library/Application Support/Bento directory) and installed a fresh copy that I downloaded.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I just downloaded Delicious Library 2 and installed it with the sample libraries. Unfortunately it only has a fixed set of library definitions and does not allow you to create custom libraries, such as Furniture or Appliances. So while it looks like this would be great for cataloguing media libraries, it does not lend itself very well to home inventory. It also does not seem to have any provision for entering purchase date, pictures, etc. (unless I just missed it).

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well I can just say that I think you would be well served by using Bento for this as you mentioned. My inventory (even though it is out of date and your post is reminding me that I need to update it- DOH!) database is one I made with FileMaker Pro, but when I downloaded the Bento trial I was forced to admit that their Home Inventory template was much better than mine! :(

The price of Bento is sure right too, so as long as you have Leopard I would certainly recommend it! I'm sure I will be buying it in place of the next Filemaker update.

As to your other question about the trial, you might also want to check for preference files as well...

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. I think I will buy Bento in the next few days. I did find a preference file for it and deleted it, perhaps this will allow me to run the demo again.

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

This will not work. You will need to find a hidden file in the Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences folder and delete it. Sorry I can't remember exactly what is was called but it had Bento in the filename. If you can't find it then the Bento forum here has some posts that TSGal is very helpful in answering

7. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

thanks for the tip. I found the file (it was in my user Library/Preference directory) and deleted it; now my demo runs again!