HomeKit Home/Kit App and Smart Outlets

stressed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
I've recently purchased some fantastic smart outlets. They work great on my wireless LAN. As well, Apple's Home/Kit app sees the devices with no issues. However, when I'm away from my wireless network and I want to control the smart outlets, the Home/Kit app shows the devices as having "No Response". I'm wondering if I have to configure a firewall WAN rule to allow communication from Apple to my Apple TV, which of course is on the same wireless network as the smart outlets, to be able to control the smart outlets - turn them on or off? Any suggestions or guidance would be most helpful. Thanks.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Which version of Apple TV is it? I believe only the Apple TV 4K can work as a home hub when you’re away from home

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I have ihome smart switches. They need to be on the 2.4 ghz band and even tough the Apple rev is on the 5g band it works fine for me

stressed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
My iPhone, Apple TV and my smart switches are all on the same wireless LAN, /24. They've all connected to my wireless AP with no issues. My AP broadcasts a single SSID on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Both my smart switch app and Home/Kit app see the outlets and can turn them on and off while at home, on the same network. When I'm away from home with my iPhone is when I cannot connect to the smart outlets with the Home/Kit app.

I'm wondering if it's a firewall issue. Maybe a rule on my WAN to my wireless LAN?

stressed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
The one part that was overlooked in the setup was having two factor authentication enabled on my iPhone. Once I activated 2FA, the ATV4K connected. My smart outlets work great now. Thanks for all the guidance. I appreciate everyone taking time to respond.