Home Home Kit - Surveillance cameras for iPhone

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by ClutchThese, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Thanks for reading!

I'm trying to gain some information from the plethora of people here about home surveillance. Specifically I'm looking for:

1. A simple turn key scalable solution for home surveillance.
    and
    2. Ability to securely view feeds over cellular without a monthly subscription.

If you have a system you use currently, I would love to know more about it!

Mods, if this isn't the correct forum to use, please redirect.

2. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Canary will be releasing a home kit version of its security camera this fall. Not sure if you're familiar with canary, but it's a pretty popular all in one security camera.

3. ClutchThese thread starter macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Thanks for that, I'm familiar with Canary. The only issue with it is it's unable to be installed outside for exterior surveillance (driveway, front porch, rear porch, etc).

I think Canary is great for many people who are interested in a simple interior solution.

4. meagain macrumors 68030

I have 2 Nest Cams. Just bought a 2-Camera Arlo bundle at Costco yesterday. No cords. I wanted to be able to put at least 1 outside and don't have an outlet on the front porch. So far the signal is strong from pretty darned far away. They say batteries last 3-4 months but that depends on settings/use. Rechargeables last less so. So far I'm enjoying these little cams and wish I had more. Arlo also has plug in types that might be good. I know they offer so many hours or days of free cloud. I think Nest just changed their cloud program also to include some free time but I'm unsure.

5. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I surveil my driveway at night with a Nest Cam. You don't need any subscription if you only want to view the live feed. If you want to record events when motion is detected then you need a subscription. I'm doing $10/month because I only have the camera outside until it gets cold. It's not an all-weather camera and the winter cold can damage it so I bring it inside. You can get an entire year of 10-day archives for $100/year. That's only about $8.30 per month. But for just viewing the live feed, no fees or subscription needed. And it's incredibly simple to set up.

6. ClutchThese thread starter macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Yeah, I've used nest and the subscription is what turned me off. If I own a product and there's the ability to record, I don't think I should be limited to a cloud based subscription. So, I sold my nest cam and am on a hunt for a new system I can install and record locally while still accessing via IP.

I'm not worried about spending 1k or more, I just want something with great quality and is scalable.

7. BigCLC macrumors member

BigCLC

While it is not homekit compatible, I just installed a blink camera https://blinkforhome.com/ and I really like it. The starter kit is $99 (hub and camera), has no fees even comes with cloud storage, is truly wireless (runs on 2 - Double A batteries which they claim lasts a year) and additional cameras are $70.

8. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Followed the link and these look good...thanks

9. evoga macrumors member

evoga

Blink looks really good. I wouldn't mind buying them but the opposite of the OP bothers me - not paying a monthly sub.

How do they cover the cloud fees for all the users in the future?