Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for reading!

I'm trying to gain some information from the plethora of people here about home surveillance. Specifically I'm looking for:

1. A simple turn key scalable solution for home surveillance.
and
2. Ability to securely view feeds over cellular without a monthly subscription.

If you have a system you use currently, I would love to know more about it!

Mods, if this isn't the correct forum to use, please redirect.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Canary will be releasing a home kit version of its security camera this fall. Not sure if you're familiar with canary, but it's a pretty popular all in one security camera.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for that, I'm familiar with Canary. The only issue with it is it's unable to be installed outside for exterior surveillance (driveway, front porch, rear porch, etc).

I think Canary is great for many people who are interested in a simple interior solution.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I have 2 Nest Cams. Just bought a 2-Camera Arlo bundle at Costco yesterday. No cords. I wanted to be able to put at least 1 outside and don't have an outlet on the front porch. So far the signal is strong from pretty darned far away. They say batteries last 3-4 months but that depends on settings/use. Rechargeables last less so. So far I'm enjoying these little cams and wish I had more. Arlo also has plug in types that might be good. I know they offer so many hours or days of free cloud. I think Nest just changed their cloud program also to include some free time but I'm unsure.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I surveil my driveway at night with a Nest Cam. You don't need any subscription if you only want to view the live feed. If you want to record events when motion is detected then you need a subscription. I'm doing $10/month because I only have the camera outside until it gets cold. It's not an all-weather camera and the winter cold can damage it so I bring it inside. You can get an entire year of 10-day archives for $100/year. That's only about $8.30 per month. But for just viewing the live feed, no fees or subscription needed. And it's incredibly simple to set up.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I've used nest and the subscription is what turned me off. If I own a product and there's the ability to record, I don't think I should be limited to a cloud based subscription. So, I sold my nest cam and am on a hunt for a new system I can install and record locally while still accessing via IP.

I'm not worried about spending 1k or more, I just want something with great quality and is scalable.

Reactions: maxsix

BigCLC

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
While it is not homekit compatible, I just installed a blink camera https://blinkforhome.com/ and I really like it. The starter kit is $99 (hub and camera), has no fees even comes with cloud storage, is truly wireless (runs on 2 - Double A batteries which they claim lasts a year) and additional cameras are $70.

Reactions: Applebot1

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
While it is not homekit compatible, I just installed a blink camera https://blinkforhome.com/ and I really like it. The starter kit is $99 (hub and camera), has no fees even comes with cloud storage, is truly wireless (runs on 2 - Double A batteries which they claim lasts a year) and additional cameras are $70.
Followed the link and these look good...thanks

evoga

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Blink looks really good. I wouldn't mind buying them but the opposite of the OP bothers me - not paying a monthly sub.

How do they cover the cloud fees for all the users in the future?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.