Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2thousand9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Canada
I don't know if this is the right spot to ask about this but I have a kodak flip style camera. It's really good for a flip style camera because it shoots 60 fps and it's HD but I wanted to film skateboarding so I made a home made fisheye. Its a 1 inch PVC pipe hats about 2-3 inches long. at the top I implanted a lens for a glasses. I implanted the lens with some of that sticky tack stuff you use to put posters up. When you look through it it works great except the bit of blue around the edge. The problem is that when it is taped to the camera the quality of the video is really bad. I can't figure out how to fix this issue.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Research lens design.

You need multiple lens elements to have a lens with proper focus.

Better to get a part time job and actually buy a proper lens.

Courtaj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2008
Edinburgh, U.K.
When you look through it it works great except the bit of blue around the edge. The problem is that when it is taped to the camera the quality of the video is really bad.
This is because your eye compensates for a wide range of optical anomalies, striving to keep things in focus. For example, have you ever put on a friend's prescription glasses? Even if you don't wear glasses yourself, you can usually force your eyes to focus, even if it's uncomfortable. Unfortunately, cameras aren't eyes.

Top marks for ingenuity, though. :D

2thousand9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Canada
Well it really doesn't matter very much it didn't work because it was just a little thing I tried to do on the weekend. I am 14 and I really don't feel like spending 100$ on a fisheye...

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Well it really doesn't matter very much it didn't work because it was just a little thing I tried to do on the weekend. I am 14 and I really don't feel like spending 100$ on a fisheye...

I know you're only 14, and therefore money is a tough thing to come by, but check out the VholdR ContourHD camera. It's a helmet cam that shoots 720p30fps, with a wide field of vision (I think 135 degrees). I just got one to shoot mountain biking and other video and I love it. It won't be cheap for you - costs $300 - but would be great for skateboarding. Maybe start saving up your cash, or think about it as a possible birthday or holiday gift.

In the meantime, keep up the modding and hacking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.