Home Media Problem with 2008 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 0alex0, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 0alex0 macrumors newbie

First of all, please know that I am a total buffoon when it comes to most computer-related matters, so please bear with me.

I have one of the old-timey 2008 white plastic MacBooks that is still going strong (for now). I had a Seagate Free Agent Go-Flex 3Tb external hard drive on which I kept all of my music, photos, documents, etc. Well, I mistakenly didn't treat it as a back-up, and it crashed. Therefore, I have no access to any of those files. After having some local computer folks look at it, I'm going to have to send it to one of those outfits in CA where they were haz-mat suits and recover the drive...great.

My new plan is to purchase a wireless external hard drive that will sit in the living room, but I will be able to access my files from my computer. Further, I will also purchase some cloud space to truly back-up everything this time, so this doesn't happen again.

I have an LG soundbar hooked up to a Samsung Smart TV, and, ideally, I would like to be able to listen to my music through iTunes on that soundbar and be able to change songs, etc. from an app on my Samsung Galaxy phone. I know, I know, I'm mixing companies, but I had a lot of problems with the iPhone at my residence (no it wasn't AT&T's fault, but that's another story altogether).

Is this a pipedream, or is this a real possibility to have this kind of set-up? I have no idea where to even start. Any insight at all is truly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-alex

2. revbarabbas macrumors regular

If the TV is used as a secondary display you could possibly just run a 3.5mm->RCA cable from the audio out of the MacBook to the input on the TV. If it's not used for that then you might want to invest in either an Apple TV, Airport base station or an AirPlay compatible receiver so you can pipe the music over AirPlay to one of those.

AFAIK there is no Android app capable of controlling iTunes except "Mobile Mouse", you will need to run a Mobile Mouse Server on the MacBook though.